is this string tree original?

Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:11 pm

[image]http://s237.photobucket.com/user/apwoodroof/media/imagejpg1_zpse089915d.jpg.html[/image]

An extremely minor detail I know, but I've been shopping online for a used ASAT Special and this is the first one I've seen with a string tree that looks like this. Is it original? Seems kind of silly to even ask, but I've searched the forum for other things and you guys pretty much know everything!

Re: is this string tree original?

Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:21 pm

No way I would consider myself an expert but to me it looks like an aftermarket part.

Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:46 pm

Thanks GeorgeB! I posted this and sent the seller an email at the same time. The seller did confirm the sting tree was a replacement part. Mystery solved!

Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:09 pm

My early ninties s-500 has a string tree like that. It is definitely genuine.

Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:59 pm

I'll let an expert chime in too, but I have two follow up questions:

1) is the placement correct for a (presumably) 1996? I haven't seen a lot of photos, but most seem to place the string tree directly next to the D string, not between the A and the D.

2) if the string tree isn't original (the seller didn't seem 100% sure and catawompus said his s-500 has the same one), is it possible to order the correct string tree from G&L?

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:09 pm

Hey Woody 777,

I own about 70 G&L's starting from the first year to the current 'epoch'. None of them have the roller string tree you show. Until about late-'85/early-'86, G&L used a bracket close to the D-tuner for the G-, B-, and E-string to run under. After that, they used GraphTech PT-7000-00 string tree at the same location for the B- and E-string. The location was closer to the nut in late-'87, more between the E- and A-tuners, but changed again to ibetween A- and D-tuner in '88. In about '10, the GraphTech tree was replaced with a the metal string-tree as currently used. I have seen a somewhat larger variation in location ranging from between the E- and A-tuner to slightly above the D-tuner, but most are right on top the 'G' in the G&L logo.

To get the period correct piece, you need to assess the build year for your ASAT Special. The best answer you;ll get by removing the neck and look for date stamps in the pocket and/or neck heel. But checking the Registry for a nearby S?N might give you a good enough idea. GraphTech no longer carries the PT-7000-00 and offers a more oval version now, PT-7004-00. But I have seen them on Amazon (I think). The metal ones are easy to obtain; just search for "metal string tree".

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:01 pm

Thank you, Jos! That information is exactly what I was looking for!

The photo I posted is from a 1996 model (per the seller, but I have no reason to doubt him, a stand up guy so far). The placement seems correct, but it should have the PT-7000-00 you referenced above.

Thanks again!