Strange serial number!!!

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:21 pm

I have an s-500 model guitar with a red flake finish. As far as I know, all the hardware is original (everything looks that way compared to all other G&L's I've ever seen). The problem is when I look at the serial number, it reads B052993. I'm pretty sure that all serial numbers that start with "B" are for basses- and this is definitely not a bass. Have there ever been any guitars made this way or was this changed after production?

Re: Strange serial number!!!

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:59 pm

That's rather strange. I'm sure that the bass neck plate is of a different size than that of the 6-string, a bit longer at least. Can you provide a high resolution picture of the plate?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Not to worry, it's normal. Many 3-bolt guitar plates in the range 52000 to 55000 were mis-stamped with a B-prefix instead of the usual G-prefix. It was a mistake and the plates were used rather than wasting them.

Yes, the info will be in the book. 8-)

GG

Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:05 am

I just bought a 1997 Legacy Special. It says USA on the headstock and the 3 bolt plate number starts with B. Is this one of the "instead of G" mistakes?

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:38 am

pickflow wrote:I just bought a 1997 Legacy Special. It says USA on the headstock and the 3 bolt plate number starts with B. Is this one of the "instead of G" mistakes?

More than likely it is. If you search the G&L Registry on the Legacy Special model,
you will find a number of them have guitar 3 bolt neckplate with the "Bxxxxxx" format serial numbering.

Hope this helps.