questions about a 2008 USA Legacy

Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:20 pm

Hi there, I was hoping I could find some answers about my new 2008 Legacy. I started to wade into the Knowledgebase area of the forum and my head is spinning from so much info :shocked028: I hope nobody minds me asking a few questions specific to my guitar.

I recently purchased a used 2008 USA Legacy in a honeyburst finish, maple fretboard, white pickguard with off-white/cream colored pickups and volume/tone knobs. It has a black molded hardshell case and the certificate of authenticity is in there. I'm not too concerned but I started wondering how someone can tell if a Legacy truly is a made in the USA guitar.

The neck looks legit, it has a CLF serial # and says "USA" on it. Also has the single birthmark on the back of the head. Are Legacy necks interchangeable between USA and Tribute bodies? If so are there any markings on the body of the guitar that would ensure that it was built in the USA?

One thing that seems odd to me is that the tremolo spring cover on the back of the guitar is 3 ply but the pickguard on the front is a single ply white guard with 8 screw holes. Most USA Legacys I've seen, which admittedly isn't many, have 3 ply pickguards. Could a 1 ply guard have been standard issue for this guitar?

Thanks in advance for any information. I really appreciate it!

Re: questions about a 2008 USA Legacy

Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:31 am

It sure seems legit. I do not believe the tribute and American necks are interchangeable and yours has all the markings of an American model. I would not be concerned about the difference in pickguard/back cover as I have two G&Ls which also have different front to back plastic materials/colors and they are original. -- Darwin

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:15 am

Turkish,

I'm sure it is all legit. Single ply white pickguard is available as an option when explicitly stated; otherwise you would get a 3-ply white-black-white pickguard when specifying a white pickguard. But as far as the spring cavity cover is concerned, I think G&L standardizes just on the more common 3-ply version.

- Jos

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:13 am

Thanks again guys. I got to play it today for awhile and I'm really diggin' it. The scale of the neck is throwing me off a little since I've been playing LPs for the last 18 years. My pick hand keeps drifting towards the neck. Also, fretting the strings requires a little more pressure than my hand is used to. Nothing to get in a twist over though. I'm sure it's due for a professional set-up and new strings. I played it through my Music Man HD (on the 65 watt setting) into a 4x12 with Emi Legends. I was really impressed. A lot of versatility with the tone knobs. I ran it with a King of Tone and a Tonebender MkII clone and its great but I keep coming back to just straight guitar into amp. It's great!

a little tarnishing on the saddles...

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:29 am

Beautiful !! .... the tone knobs are one is bass , the other is treble

Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:14 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:Beautiful !! .... the tone knobs are one is bass , the other is treble

Those controls are part of the PTB system, see this post: Can you explain the PTB circuit?.
Also, see this in our Gallery: Album: 1992-present Legacy PTB Controls.

Please do add your Legacy to our G&L Registry.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: