Why do the ASAT Classic Solamentes need a toggle switch?

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:27 pm

This question was asked on the G&L Facebook page after this ASAT Classic Solamente photo was posted:

Here's the reply by G&L Musical Instruments:

The wiring was done by Paul Gagon. Basically it's a tweaked value to his early '80s Esquire mod. Here's the positions in Paul's rap:

Position #1: This position has the switch towards the guitar's bridge and connects the bridge pickup to the volume control while bypassing the tone control.
This yields a hotter lead voice with lightly accentuated upper harmonics.

Position #2: This position has the switch in the middle and connects the bridge pickup to both the volume and tone controls. This yields the standard wiring
configuration that you would encounter on our standard ASAT Classic for the bridge pickup. In this position we have the bridge pickup connected to both the
volume and tone controls.

Position #3: This position has the switch towards the neck and connects the bridge pickup to the volume control and a Resonant Frequency Shifting capacitor.
This yields an accentuated midrange peak that is reminiscent of the tone of a Wah Pedal that is slightly cocked backwards. What you hear is similar to the vocal
sound “owooh”
Last edited by Craig on Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link to photo

Re: Why do the ASAT Classic Solamentes need a toggle switch?

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:01 am

Wow - I've been yearning for an Esquire for years.

Has anyone ever installed a PTB like system on an ASAT or would that serve any purpose?

Is this guitar routed for more pickups in case I change my mind. There was also a stealth
Esquire that had 3 pickups - 2 were hidden under the pickguard.

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:09 am

jwebsmall wrote:Wow - I've been yearning for an Esquire for years.

Has anyone ever installed a PTB like system on an ASAT or would that serve any purpose?

Is this guitar routed for more pickups in case I change my mind. There was also a stealth
Esquire that had 3 pickups - 2 were hidden under the pickguard.

We have the schematics of the Solamentes in the Gallery, in case you are interested.

The Solamentes do have the neck pickup route on the body, see this post: viewtopic.php?p=49887#p49887.

:ugeek:

Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:20 am

jwebsmall wrote:Has anyone ever installed a PTB like system on an ASAT or would that serve any purpose?

I have always wanted to see that happen. Wonder if there's enough room on the control plate for another knob...?