View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 ASAT Signature /versa ASAT Classic Thickness. 

Post ASAT Signature /versa ASAT Classic Thickness.
My 1988- ASAT 3 pup sig model is 1-5/8 thick versa my 1998 Classic at an 1-3/4. I never noticed until I played a session using both. The weight was so slight that I'd never paid a lot of attention, plus I sit a lot. Is this a normal thickness?
new kid on the block and concerned. I'm really starting to have a weight issue.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: ASAT Signature /versa ASAT Classic Thickness.
GentlemanJim wrote:
My 1988- ASAT 3 pup sig model is 1-5/8 thick versa my 1998 Classic at an 1-3/4. I never noticed until I played a session using both. The weight was so slight that I'd never paid a lot of attention, plus I sit a lot. Is this a normal thickness?
new kid on the block and concerned. I'm really starting to have a weight issue.

It looks like the factory changed the body thickness of the ASAT models from 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" some time in 1998.
I checked Greg Gagliano's G&L ASAT pages and found this to be the case for most of his 1998 and new ASATs.

If weight has become an issue, then try out the Semi-Hollow versions.

Hope this helps.

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:07 pm
Profile WWW

Jim , the Classic weighs 8 lbs .... not a light weight but far from a heavy weight , my 85 Broadcaster (ASAT) is over 9 lbs , my new Classic is 9.5 and my ASAT Deluxe with bigsby 10.5 lbs

Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:15 pm

Thanks Craig, you're a wealth of information. I'm desperately doing my best to get the G&L bug a little bit more than before. Alway loved my ASAT from Dale. These little issue of thickness and weight are not deal breakers just a little different for me.
Coming from light ash tele's and strats to les paul heavy takes a little getting use to.
I found a dealer about 170 miles away in B'ham. I'm going to call and see how his inventory stacks up. Then I'll make the trip to explore various Semi-Hollow versions.
G&L's playability compared to any of its competitor far exceeds my expectations. I'm hooked big time. A fine instrument with a great tone. The Classic from Eric took me over the edge.
Thanks again Craig and best regards to you to Eric, thanks for the weight chart.
Jimbo

Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:26 pm
Profile WWW

Jimbo, I am also concerned about weight. I have four Asats under 7 lbs ranging from 6 lbs 2 oz to 6 lbs 14 oz. They are all semi hollow and they are comfortable. -- Darwin

Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:55 am

My 2004 ASAT Classic with an alder body comes in under 7lbs. Every time I pick it up, I'm amazed at how light it is.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:37 pm

Well it can get a little overwhelming in the middle of a set or session changing from an archtop to a solid body, or vice versa which I have done and will be experiencing again. The semi hollow body weight sounds like it would be perfect with that change. I've never own a semi, I guess its time. I've reach the age where I demand comfort of myself. No one else knows that that's just me.
I'm assuming tonewise it will be a total acoustic change to my ears. I like to play when I'm writing unplugged. Amp'd up it should not be that be of issue or feed back, right ....?
I notice that Guitar Center is handling the tribute, but I would really prefer the USA model. The quest is on, thanks gang.
Jimbo

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:18 pm
Profile WWW

Gentleman Jim,

The weight of the instrument seems to get more important the older I get. But at least I found a partial remedy. This may sound stupid and dumb, but it turned out I used my guitar strap, always a Levy suede MSS3, the wrong way around. Previously, I had the narrow strip connected to the the upper bass bout which meant that this narrow strip partially ran over my shoulder. When I switched it around, all of a sudden things were a heck of a lot more comfortable with the weight distributed over a larger shoulder area because the broad part of the strap ran over my shoulder. Entirely trivial after the fact, but I hadn't thought about it in that way.

- Jos

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:42 pm
Profile WWW

Jos I shall give it a try

Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:09 am
Profile WWW

that is a good idea Jos .... I have a wide strap on my ASAT Deluxe and it really doesn't seem bad for over 10 pounds but never really thought about the strap being difference

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:25 pm

I play in a band fronted by my wife. She plays a small accordion that weighs in at just under 16 lbs. Complaining about my 8 lb ASAT wouldn't fly. The solution: exercise. Unless you have a debilitating illness, or you're in your 90s, there's really no reason not to exercise. If you're fat, lose some weight and get on a regular exercise plan. Being a musician takes stamina. If you're in reasonable condition you can play "forever." Just saying.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Here is an ASAT option which was recently added: "Original Leo Spec" Body Depth Returns to the G&L ASAT ....

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Tue May 05, 2015 7:57 am
Profile WWW

Quote:

Re: ASAT Signature /versa ASAT Classic Thickness.

Postby GDub » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:23 pm
I play in a band fronted by my wife. She plays a small accordion that weighs in at just under 16 lbs. Complaining about my 8 lb ASAT wouldn't fly. The solution: exercise. Unless you have a debilitating illness, or you're in your 90s, there's really no reason not to exercise. If you're fat, lose some weight and get on a regular exercise plan. Being a musician takes stamina. If you're in reasonable condition you can play "forever." Just saying.

The question is related to guitar weight and there are reasons for asking and there are some very good solutions. I do not see a fair comparison between a 16 lb Accordion and an 8 lb guitar. The accordion has a strap over each shoulder distributing the weight equally. The guitar is supported by a single strap going over one shoulder.

There are many reasons that us older folks have for asking about weight, many of them not to do with being overweight or a lack of exercise. There are ruptured discs, worn out hip/knee joints and others things associated with aging. I am 72 and still gigging as much as ever. I have had a herniated disc repaired twice but have a full recovery. I lift several 50 lb cabinets, setting heavy speakers on speaker stands with no problem. My goal is not to impress anyone how much I can lift but make everything as comfortable as I can. I do have a carbon fiber bass on order which will be less than 7 lbs that should be here in less than 3 weeks. I am looking forward to it.

In the mean time I have been using a Slinger Strap on my 10Lb G&L M-2500. This strap has a strap over each shoulder and a waist strap which attaches to the lower end of the guitar. I really distributes the load equally on each shoulder and the waist. What a difference. When playing my bass VI with a single strap the weight difference is very noticeable and easy to play. There are probably several options out there for solving these issues. My point is that there are ways of dealing with these issues and a light guitar is the most perfect. I do use 4 inch straps on my basses but the Slinger Strap is much more comfortable. In all fairness I did have a modification made to it by a shoemaker specifically for my bass but even their single strap with the waist band is probably what I would get next time. Someone on the forum posted about this strap. Maybe someone else has a good suggestion. Lets hear them. -- Darwin

Tue May 05, 2015 11:07 am

Agreed Jos, funny how much of a difference a wide strap can make… and yeah, Darwin the weight distribution is totally different w/ an accordion.

Gdub has a point about exercise however playing for an extended period a medium weight instrument can be really tiring… busking last winter in Brisbane for 5-6 hours at a stint (with a standard size guitar strap) halfway thru my 8lb ASAT Classic felt like a Les Paul Custom…. At the end of the day I'd be flat out knackered and I'm in shape & was doing the 5 Tibetan exercises daily. Granted, standing on concrete the entire time didn't help… Not surprisingly, you see a lot of folks busking seated sitting on a milk crate or such - I can understand why but Ihink its send the wrong message..

Speaking of LP Customs, check out the wide as strap Lindsey is sporting here….

[youtube]v5kOzGwsHXw[/youtube]

Apparently Mick had a major issue with the thin sound of Buckingham's tele so Mick really pressured him into switching to a LP Custom - saying it was the Mac's signature sound… Lindsey used it til he got hep to Rick Turner's early models…. Ha, tho his 1st solo record he's using a tele again…

[youtube]6d1guIZZNbM[/youtube]

Cheers,
KF

Wed May 06, 2015 2:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]