Some questions about a Tribute ASAT Classic 2003

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, so sorry to ask a few involved questions.

I am a guitarist from the UK but I own a G&L Tribute Bass but have never played a G&L guitar until today. While in a shop looking for a completely different guitar I saw a used 2003 Tribute ASAT Classic, swamp ash natural finish, maple neck & fingerboard, tortoiseshell pick guard, as soon as I played it I felt at home, I really loved the neck shape. I am thinking about buying it but I have some questions.

1) I felt the price is a bit high compared to a new (this shop does not stock new G&L) model but when I looked at the latest spec I see the new ones do not come with satin neck in this finish, I really liked the satin neck. I believe I am right the 2003 was the first year of the Tribute and they were made in Korea. Are there any issues with these early models I should be aware of?

2) Has the neck shape/profile changed on these Tribute models since 2003?

3) Anyone know the fret depth on the Tribute ASAT Classic neck?

3) This has also got me looking at USA G&L, what would be the equivalent USA neck profile to this Tribute neck? I don't see many USA ASAT Classics for sale here in the UK but the ones I do see all have the no1 'Classic C' profile, which I am guessing is much chunkier than the Tribute I tried today.

Any info would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

Re: Some questions about a Tribute ASAT Classic 2003

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:04 pm

Hi Steve,

I own a couple of '03 MIK ASAT's. One is a solid body and one is semi-hollow. Both are ash and have maple fretboards with natural finish. I'll have a stab at answering your questions.

1) the MIK Tributes are very highly regarded but some of the early ones had scratchy or completely broken pots. Both of my ASAT's had these problems. I fixed them myself. It only cost $15 for 4 new Alpha pots and half an hour with the soldering iron. Check the pots out carefully before you buy.

2) Yes, I believe the neck specs have changed since 2003. The neck radius on my MIK models is 9", which I personally love. I believe all of the new Tributes are 12" and the USA ASAT's are available in 7.5" or 12". My ASAT solid body has a slender neck profile front to back, while the semi-hollow is quite chunky front to back. I don't know why there should be such a large difference in a factory made neck.

3) I don't know the actual fret depth, but the Tribute frets feel like standard medium jumbos to me.

4) I don't know what the equivalent USA profile would be to an ASAT Tribute neck, but note that the Tribute radius (9") is not available in a USA model AFAIK.

Hope that helps.

Phil. :thumbup:

Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:09 pm

steve2014 wrote:Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, so sorry to ask a few involved questions.

I am a guitarist from the UK but I own a G&L Tribute Bass but have never played a G&L guitar until today. While in a shop looking for a completely different guitar I saw a used 2003 Tribute ASAT Classic, swamp ash natural finish, maple neck & fingerboard, tortoiseshell pick guard, as soon as I played it I felt at home, I really loved the neck shape. I am thinking about buying it but I have some questions.

1) I felt the price is a bit high compared to a new (this shop does not stock new G&L) model but when I looked at the latest spec I see the new ones do not come with satin neck in this finish, I really liked the satin neck. I believe I am right the 2003 was the first year of the Tribute and they were made in Korea. Are there any issues with these early models I should be aware of?

2) Has the neck shape/profile changed on these Tribute models since 2003?

3) Anyone know the fret depth on the Tribute ASAT Classic neck?

3) This has also got me looking at USA G&L, what would be the equivalent USA neck profile to this Tribute neck? I don't see many USA ASAT Classics for sale here in the UK but the ones I do see all have the no1 'Classic C' profile, which I am guessing is much chunkier than the Tribute I tried today.

Any info would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

1) See this post in the G&L Knowledgebase: What is the new Tribute series which G&L announced in 2003?.
The current Tribute ASAT Classic with Candy Apple Red finish on a Basswood body has a clear Satin finished neck.

2) No, the Tribute ASAT Classic neck shape and profile are the same for both Made in Korea and Made in Indonesia. They have a 9" radius, medium 'C' shape.

3) Regarding frets on Tributes, see: Fret size on Tribute Legacy.

3) Since there are no 9" radius necks for the US models, it's difficult to compare. The standard neck on the US ASAT Classic is the #1 neck which has a 12" radius with the G&L Classic "C" shape.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:23 am

Hi,

Many thanks for the replies, really appreciated and really helpful.

What I am trying to figure is this: I was in the shop looking at a totally different type of guitar around the 1000GBP mark, I have issues with my fretting hand and am looking at using a different type of neck shape. I had narrowed it down to a certain shape by this well known manufacture:-) I had noticed the used Tribute ASAT which is about 300GBP (new they are about 450 - 500GBP) and as I had never tried one (in fact I have never had a 'Tele' type guitar, but always wanted one) I asked to tried it - the neck was heaven, felt perfect, most importantly the depth of the neck at the 1st & 12th fret was just right, I actually compared it to a 2011 Fender Natural ash Tele (at 3 times the price), I preferred the neck on ASAT.

Problem is, there is a bit of fret wear (to be expected its 11years old!) and if I have any work done on it, I'll be up to almost the cost of a new one, but will the neck feel the same on a new one? Then I got thinking maybe I should start looking at a USA ASAT but none of the shops near me stock G&L so I would be buying blind. I can get a USA ASAT in blonde or a semi hollow in light natural for about 1000GBP both have the Classic C neck.

I see that the nut widths are the same on the Tribute & USA but I need to work out about the neck depth,

Question: Is the depth of the neck at 1st & 12th fret of a USA #1 Classic C going to be similar to the Tribute or feel fatter?

Thanks again for your help,

Steve

Maybe I should just go an buy it before it goes :-)