trying to find out more about an ASAT Special Tribute

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:22 am

So, i saw an ASAT Special tribute on my local craigslist and i'm trying to find out more about it. The headstock has TRIBUTE in big letters, so i think that means it's an older model. It is also black with a plain white pickguard, which is a configuration that i don't think is offered anymore. Does anyone know about when this would have been available and whether there's anything else i should know before contacting the seller?

Thanks!

Re: trying to find out more about an ASAT Special Tribute

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:14 pm

That's an early (read:"vintage") Tribute made in Korea, I think the solid color ones are Basswood but I could be wrong.

Never played a MIK Tribute but they're said to be very OK at least, sometimes even on par with any US G&L, for a bargain price.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:55 pm

Yes, I had a 2003 or 2004 MIK Asat Special like that in CAR and it was a very nice guitar. I was recently asked if I wanted to buy it back but my count according to my granddaughter had reached 50 so I declined. -- Darwin

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:19 pm

I have a honey burst MIK ASAT Special of the same vintage. Lovely instrument. Wouldn't sell it. From memory the first 2 digits of the serial are the year of manufacture. HTH.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:36 am

Great, thanks for the info! Now to convince the wife...