NGD picked up a CLF Centennial ASAT.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:14 am

Hey gang,

Was lucky enough to score a CLF Centennial ASAT in a trade. # 18 of 50. Just a couple of general questions about these beautiful guitars. What was the original selling price on these? I have read anywhere from $3,000 to $4,000.00. Also, I only see mine and three others in the registry up here, and I think I read somewhere that only five have remained in the US. Now the guy that traded me for the one I have had two.... 17 & 18, so this sounds as if it COULD be true, but still don't and would like to know. The one I got was unplayed(up until now)and has all the case candy still sealed. I have opened up the book to check it out, but will leave the bag with the cord,DVD,spare set of strings, wrenches, case keys ext sealed.

Anyway, thanks for any info that can be provided.

P.S....... The trade?????? my Spanish Copper ASAT Classic S(that was demoed by Andy from pro guitar shop video on YouTube) a Tutima UTC FX GMT and a D.Freemont limited edition open heart watch. I think it was a fair trade for an unplayed Centennial....... :luv:

Re: NGD picked up a CLF Centennial ASAT.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:24 am

wrigman wrote:Hey gang,

Was lucky enough to score a CLF Centennial ASAT in a trade. # 18 of 50.

Congrats wrigman! ;) That is one beautiful looking and sounding ASAT very much like the pre-BBE era stuff.

wrigman wrote:Just a couple of general questions about these beautiful guitars. What was the original selling price on these?

In this May 2010 Newsletter by Guitar Adoptions, which is the only store I have seen one for sale, the C.L.F. Centennial is listed with a Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $5,000 and Minimum Advertising Price (MAP) of $3,750. This just means that they might have gone for less if new, say another 10% or so, but that would still leave it at $3k+.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:17 pm

Thanks! That did help. I didn't think that the MSRP was THAT high. The guy I got this beauty from said he bought two after he took a factory tour direct from G&L, kind of makes me wonder how close to MSRP he paid.
The tone this has DOES blow away anything I have owned so far. I have had two ASAT Classic S's, two blues boy's, two Classic's, a couple of Legacy's. My two original Blues Boy and Classic S are in the gallery as well as my last Classic S and current Blues Boy. Never had a Special type until now, but from what I gather the Centennial is closer to a Broadcaster in spec. I am thinking of shielding the pick up and control cavity's on this one with shielding paint. Does anyone know if the bridge cavity needs to be done as well?
Guess I'll have to wait for Greg to chime in to see if he knows how many of these have remained in the states.......

Thanks for the reply JOS!!!

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:02 am

Another question; is it sacrilidge to pull this apart enough to paint on some shielding paint in the control cavity, pick up cavity's and bridge cavity. ??

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:33 am

wrigman wrote:Another question; is it sacrilidge to pull this apart enough to paint on some shielding paint in the control cavity, pick up cavity's and bridge cavity. ??

that's a tuffy .... it is very special .... I'm going through this with a mint Broadcaster slightly different situation , I hate the low-wide frets , love medium Jumbo frets but don't want to ruin value , med jumbo frets would have this guitar my favorite , but hate to mess with such a nice guitar ....

Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:57 pm

My only advantage is what I am doing cannot be seen unless a pick up or other component is removed. I have started doing this, what is in the pick up cavities as far as the model ID and bar codes ect, I put tape over that can be removed. However the tape has been painted over.
Would still like to get a count of how many of these are left in the states...