Help Identifying My ASAT?

Thu May 01, 2014 4:59 pm

Hey guys,

I recently was given a beautiful ASAT by my brother. Unfortunately, neither of us know much about the details of the guitar.

I've searched as much as I can to identify it, but I'm having a little trouble.

The serial is on the back of the headstock: CLF13025

Based on the serial info on this forum (very helpful), I gather that it's a 1999, since it's CLFXXXXX

It doesn't match the Tribute serial form, so I'm guessing it's made in USA?

I'm totally lost as to what model ASAT it is. All it says on the headstock or anywhere else is "ASAT."

I'm also curious how much this guitar is worth. It's in excellent condition. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Re: Help Identifying My ASAT?

Thu May 01, 2014 5:06 pm

That is a lovely looking ASAT Special, in Honeyburst finish over swamp ash. The four bolt neck plate tallies with your estimate of 1999 as the year of manufacture. It is definitely a US made guitar.

If you were prepared to undo the four screws and remove the neck, the manufacture date is normally stamped in the neck pocket.

Hope that helps,

Phil.

Thu May 01, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks Phil!

That's a huge help.

Any idea what the guitar is worth?

Thu May 01, 2014 5:37 pm

I agree with Phil's comments. The headstock decals have said "ASAT" since the model came out in 1986, although the model name has changed between "ASAT" and "ASAT Special" in the catalogs. The differences were cosmetic (that is, the colors of the pickguards and chrome). The other ASAT models have been variants on the one you have, mainly in terms of different pickups.

A note on the serial number - the "CLF" prefix began in 1999. Before that, it was "CL" for about a year, and "G" before that. The numbers following the prefix were not used sequentially, so all they can give you is an approximate date. As Phil pointed out, the only way to know for sure is to check the neck pocket. It would also be worth a quick check of the Registry to see if a previous owner entered the dates.

In clean condition and with the case, an ASAT this age would probably go for a bit under $1000.

Ken

Thu May 01, 2014 5:48 pm

Thanks Ken! That's a huge help.