NGD! Sparkle Orange Will Ray

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:17 pm

After a long, long wait, here she is, my Wallflower.

Re: NGD! Sparkle Orange Will Ray

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:22 pm

351 days early. I'd have a sparkle guitar in every color available if I could have every guitar I wanted. The open bathtub route is very different. It might be a tough route getting 3 Z shaped cuts so you didn't have to cover up the body. Good idea sparkling the route cavity. And good thing these don't need shielding.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:27 pm

un fricken believable !! .... what a beauty !!, and a Pick Guard even Louis would like !! ..lol ..... I love it !! .... now I'm Jonesing for a WR sparkle , well worth the wait my friend

Eric

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:47 pm

WOW!! I totally have sparkle envy!!!!! LOL

That is soooo awesome Jag, i know you must be over the moon!!

Scott

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:16 pm

Great looking guitar Patrick. Congrats!!! :happy0065: :happy0065:

- Jos

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:41 pm

That is very a-peel-ing

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:56 pm

Wow...that's cool!
Did it come with G&L brand sunglasses for you (and the band and audience)?

Have you considered putting an orange LED into the edge of the clear plexi?

Congrats,

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:00 am

Cool! And it's such a great idea to include the WR instruction videos. Good luck with the bender, Pat :thumbup:

Elwood wrote:Have you considered putting an orange LED into the edge of the clear plexi?

Best idea ever. I'd cram the swimming pool full of those rubbery monster finger puppets.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:46 am

bazinga, awesome!

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:52 am

Yep Patrick, that is a looker! Beautiful stage guitar. and I especially like the clear pickguard. -- Darwin

Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:00 am

If you ever have a 440 6 pack mopar at hand....I'd love to see your WR pictured with one.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:58 am

She is beyond gorgeous! :P :evilgrin: :clap:
Mad, brave, and totally successful.
And you are going to have such a lot of fun; the WR is a piece of genius.
Don't overlook the neck+bridge selection, it's a super-tele.
Do they still ship WRs with the middle pickup set lower, as Will has his? I think it helps with both sustain and picking.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:18 am

Elwood wrote:If you ever have a 440 6 pack mopar at hand....I'd love to see your WR pictured with one.

That can be arranged, more easily that one can imagine. And you are right, it would be a great photo!

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I decided to tip as many sacred cows as I could when optioning this thing out. I've been told "If you don't like a slab body with no contours, then you just aren't a T-Style player." I beg to differ, the overall body outline fits me better than a S-style and the belly and forearm cuts give it a slinky feeling, much the same as the earlier Leo Era S-500 bodies- or my Skyhawk for that matter.

I agree that the clear pickguard was a gamble. Scott's ASAT Deluxe Red Sparkle and the JJ edition guitars inspired the idea. I want see as much of the sparkle as I could! They took extra care with the wiring to make sure it looked good and it does. To me, the whole floating pickup set gives it a steam-punk psycho-billy vibe.

This was also my way of encouraging Darth to do Deluxe edition WR, Z-3, and Comanches. The ZZZ's look great with nothing but body color around them. :evilgrin:

I guess now I have to learn how to use the Hip-Shot and the set of slide rings. Wish me luck playing as good as it looks! :elguitar054:

I'd be very keen to hear Will's take on this whole thing.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:07 am

You'll be fine with the bender. At the beginning, just stay cool and don't rush anything.
It made me concentrate more than usual on which interval of my chord / scale / melody was on on which string (which must have been a good thing in itself). I think I took some paper notes, too; that always seems to help glue things in memory for me. It's the act of writing it down that sort of "fixes" it, and there's less worry over whether you'll still remember stuff the next day!

Learning how / why the various chord "shapes" and fingerings were favourite for particular things with the bender came fairly soon, and then I could stop thinking quite so non-stop and relax-and-enjoy-it.

And if you ever try to play Clarence White's "Nashville West" with the bender, stop. Don't beat yourself up over it. It's not played with the bender (well maybe a few waggly bits up the top of the tune might be, but not the endless whole-tone ones all through), but rather with a G-string of either .014 or .013 (really).

Thinking up bits of chords to bend with the B-bender is good too, things you could never normally do.

It's grrreat!

Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Congratz Patrick - She's gorgeous!! :happy0065:

Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:28 pm

Elwood wrote: Have you considered putting an orange LED into the edge of the clear plexi?

blargfromouterspace wrote:I'd cram the swimming pool full of those rubbery monster finger puppets.

A seriously good idea...

Accessories?

How about an orange cape made using this fiber optic cloth?
http://luminightusa.com/fashion/

Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:54 am

Nice. That thing looks outrageous. I had completely forgotten about the WR guitar and the B bender. He is such a cool dude and that guitart is spectacular. You could put someone's eye out with that thing!

Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Oh my. That is one beautiful guitar. I'll be in my bunk.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:30 pm

She's a beauty! I never would have thought about a clear pick guard. They did a great job.

WR

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:11 am

helle-man wrote:She's a beauty! I never would have thought about a clear pick guard. They did a great job.

WR

Thank you Will! Do her proud.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:45 am

The PG would make a nice WR "Deluxe" option ...... Deluxe models include , Floating PU's with clear pick guard , a finished PU cavity with matching head stock and your choice of Flake ...... I want to order one right now !!

Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:22 pm

Isn't that what this guitar has? You could order it right now.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Salmon wrote:Isn't that what this guitar has? You could order it right now.

I worked very closely with the factory to get this pickguard and am very pleased with the overall effect. They would most likely lay more paint and spend more finish time into the tub route if they offered it as a formal option.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:37 pm

That will definitely be an attention getter on stage. Very cool, kudos for the clear guard.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:11 am

Hahahahaha & just when I thought I went a bit left centre,goodbye mr spalding!!!!! :lol:
Paradoxically ingenious thought process behind this one pat.some modern concepts applied yet still retains that Nashville pizazz :happy0065:
Congrats on an awesome build bud & if she sounds even half what she looks (which I know she does speaking from experience :D ) you two have a long & prosperous future ahead :thumbup:

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:01 am

The Black Page wrote:Hahahahaha & just when I thought I went a bit left centre,goodbye mr spalding!!!!! :lol:
Paradoxically ingenious thought process behind this one pat.some modern concepts applied yet still retains that Nashville pizazz :happy0065:
Congrats on an awesome build bud & if she sounds even half what she looks (which I know she does speaking from experience :D ) you two have a long & prosperous future ahead :thumbup:

Thanks Ray. It was well worth the wait!

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:12 am

That is just SMOKIN' hot! :smoking030:
As others said the clear guard is a perfect match, gotta find me one.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:26 am

awesome!

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:57 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:Totally dig the clear pickguard. I like sparkle orange more than silver. Looks really cool to me!
Tim

Tim - I couldn't agree more. Stunning with the clear pickguard.

Will

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:44 pm

Will, so glad you like the vibe!

I was at a work thing a couple weekends ago, where I found this outrageous orange flake '55 Ford. The next day I brought the guitar for this photo op. Funny thing, the WR has bigger flakes and is a more intense orange. Nonetheless, a sweet combo!

Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:28 am

Way Cool Jag !!

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:51 am

Luscious pictures with the car and guitar together.

Is the radiator finished in metal flake silver?

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:30 am

THAT is the meaning of having some style ! :alright:

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:04 am

what a great picture Patrick !!

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:28 pm

That is an amazing pic Patrick! Kudos.

- Jos

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:05 pm

That is one cool shot Pat! Love the silver sparkle bit on top of the radiator :lol:

Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:51 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:That is one cool shot Pat! Love the silver sparkle bit on top of the radiator :lol:

This was an old school hot rod that the owner found, cleaned up and brought to the show. Chrome everywhere right down to the brake drums. I real time capsule!

Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:57 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:Will, so glad you like the vibe!

I was at a work thing a couple weekends ago, where I found this outrageous orange flake '55 Ford. The next day I brought the guitar for this photo op. Funny thing, the WR has bigger flakes and is a more intense orange. Nonetheless, a sweet combo!

Great looking car & guitar!! :D I believe that's a '55 chevy though.. just sayin'.. ;)

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:48 pm

I agree with you Lefty. -- Darwin

Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:14 pm

That guitar's outrageous - I love it!! A lot of work must have gone into it at the factory to get it that well sorted :)

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:23 pm

patricks wrote:That guitar's outrageous - I love it!! A lot of work must have gone into it at the factory to get it that well sorted :)

More than you will EVER know...

Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:50 pm

Yes, fabulous. What a guitar!
Hope you're getting to enjoy that Bender. It's addictive and wonderful...

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:11 am

Congrats, Patrick -- enjoy!

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:35 am

Lacking Talent wrote:Congrats, Patrick -- enjoy!

+1 Thank you! She plays as beautifully as she looks!