Triple Bound 1991 ASAT Classic with Signature

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:49 am

I thought I'd offer up some pictures of my 1991 G&L ASAT Classic. It's somewhat rare (I think) although I don't have all the information on it.

The serial number indicates an Oct-Nov 1991 build date. It is not one of the Commemorative releases because it does not have "Commemorative" on the headstock. The headstock simply has "ASAT Classic". The pickguard is anodized aluminum.

Apparently it is also not one of the "Signature" series releases because it is triple bound (body front, back and neck). My understanding is that the Signature Series were not triple bound and also they came a bit later?

A while back (couple of years ago) Greg Gagliano offered some help in identifying it. He suggested that it may be one of ten field prototypes built before the Commemorative Series was officially released. According to information he provided about 10 of these were made ... five with rosewood fretboards and five with maple.

I acquired it from a Master Luthier friend who originally bought it at the G&L booth at a NAMM show many years ago.
Anyway, here are the pictures:

Image Image

Image Image

Re: Triple Bound 1991 ASAT Classic with Signature

Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:33 am

Yowser!

Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:45 am

Man, that is SO SWEEEET...like candy!..congrats!!!

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:01 am

Yowser indeed! This must be one of these triple-bound cherryburst pre-Commemorative ASAT Classics Greg proclaims as sounding fabulous. Look a that gorgeous grain. You are a lucky man!

:happy0065: :happy0065:

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:42 am

Yes. very nice guitar. Nice grain, finish, plus the rarity makes it even better. Stop

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:32 am

RCEinMA wrote:Apparently it is also not one of the "Signature" series releases because it is triple bound (body front, back and neck). My understanding is that the Signature Series were not triple bound and also they came a bit later?

A while back (couple of years ago) Greg Gagliano offered some help in identifying it. He suggested that it may be one of ten field prototypes built before the Commemorative Series was officially released. According to information he provided about 10 of these were made ... five with rosewood fretboards and five with maple.

I acquired it from a Master Luthier friend who originally bought it at the G&L booth at a NAMM show many years ago.

The Signature Series were built from 1988-1992, see Leo Signature Series decal.

Since this guitar was first acquired from G&L at a NAMM show, that would indicate (to me)
that it was built specifically for NAMM and perhaps to showcase body and neck binding.

A definite beauty! :thumbup:

Hope this helps.

Also, please do add this guitar to our G&L Registry at your earliest convenience.

:ugeek:

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:45 am

Craig, thank you very much for your information. This guitar's origin is slowly starting to become clear.
My understanding was that the Signature Series was not triple bound however maybe this one was
specially made for a NAMM show as you have suggested.

It's fun trying to track the history of some guitars.

I'll get over to the registry page and submit this guitar's info and serial number later this evening.
I don't have the serial number at my current location.

Thanks much,

RCEinMA

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Boy is that one a looker!-- Darwin

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:08 pm

I saw the title of the thread, and thought, ohh this one is going to be a beauty. :luv:
And I was right! The metal pickguard gives it that added bonus.
Fine guitar you have there.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:00 pm

That is a beautiful guitar you have there! I have a special place for the signature series, and that's even cooler!