Bent Ti Saddles

Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:12 pm

Well, I swapped my titanium trem block and saddles over from my Legacy to the Comanche semi-hollow just to see what it would sound and feel like. It sounds and feels amazing. Actually, I think I may be selling the Legacy (as great a guitar as it is), because I could use the cash and I can't put this Comanche down!

Re: Bent Ti Saddles

Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:19 pm

So you can detect a distinct difference as well as it being an improvement in tone with the changes? I know of the trem block but what was the difference in saddles? Was it the material one was made of?

Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:49 pm

So you can detect a distinct difference as well as it being an improvement in tone with the changes? I know of the trem block but what was the difference in saddles? Was it the material one was made of?

That's a good question. Let me preface by saying that both guitars had the stock DF Vibrato saddles and trem block before I switched them out for DeTemple titanium saddles and trem block.

On my Legacy, I originally installed only the titanium trem block. I immediately noticed more sustain and the strings felt lighter (like going from 10's to 9's). Also, the guitar was just noticeably a little bit lighter with the titanium block (the manufacturer claims a 1/4 pound weight reduction versus a standard Fender trem block, but it's probably slightly less than that on a G&L because the G&L blocks are smaller than the Fender blocks). When I later added the titanium saddles to my Legacy, there was a slightly noticeable bump in those charactersitics (particularly string feel and better intonation, not so much the sustain) but not as dramatic as when I changed the block.

When I changed these over to the Comanche, I did both the block and the saddles at the same time. But again, massive increase in sustain, the strings feel lighter, and I guess I would say the guitar sounds more precise. In any event, I like the way they sound and feel but I can't really explain the physics of it.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:50 pm

i love that comanche you have. i am curious how changing the saddle can improve intonation.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:00 pm

i love that comanche you have. i am curious how changing the saddle can improve intonation.

Thanks, it really is a great guitar with an incredible tonal pallete. I'm not sure how the saddles do what they do but titanium is an incredibly light and strong material. It may be that the manufacturing tolerances are extremely precise. In any event, it seems to make each note ring more true and notes actually register more cleanly on my strobe tuner. These are the same saddles that are available on DeTemple's $8000 strats (not that money necessarily equals better tone).
Last edited by desertrat07 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:18 pm

Those trem blocks are an upgrade worth considering if not investing in. At $245 maybe down the road as I am going to be switching to noiseless pickups on my Legacy first.

It is funny how things have a psychological result. Your comment on the string gauge feeling lighter reminded me of a friend's comments on using a chorus pedal of mine. He described the effect as seeming like his fingers were squishing into the fretboard. This was a guy who had never done hallucinogenic drugs or any such things. Before I started playing guitar and only watched other people play (live sounds different than listening to a recording) I had similar impressions of different sounds I have since become too familiar with. I welcome those characteristics you have described as benefits of the trem block.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:32 pm

Yeah, I don't discount the psychological effect (and I cant exactly plead innocent on the hallucinogens :shock:) but the trem block is a huge tone upgrade imho. At $225 it is pricey but I figure I will always have a df vibrato equipped g&l to put it in and it's a simple swap so it will be with me for a while.
Last edited by desertrat07 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:50 am

Gilmourish!! ??

Roland