Unplanned NGD - '90s ASAT Classic Custom

Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:48 pm

What started out as a quick stop at my local guitar shop ended up in an ongoing, massive gear swap. First up was a bass that I won't be bringing home for another month or two, until I can move out one of my G&Ls to make room for it. That one will be another thread for another day. The second one came home today, after swapping my beloved '98 ASAT Classic and a few rarely-used pedals for it. It took about five seconds yesterday to figure out that I would have to go for that trade. I thought it was just another really sweet looking ASAT Classic, but upon further research I believe it is the short-lived ASAT Classic Custom model from the 1990s.

Here are some rather poor photos I took this afternoon:

The original ASAT Classic Custom model (not to be confused with another that used the same name in the 2000s) was an ASAT Classic with some upgrades that were not on the menu at that time. It has an alder body with an ash cap, natural wood top binding, and a belly contour. This one is in Clear Red, which seems to have been a popular finish for these. The board is rosewood, with a gloss neck. It sounds just like an ASAT Classic should.

I thought I was going to have trouble parting with my old ASAT Classic, but I had completely bonded with this one by the time I left the shop. Hopefully my old one will find a good home.

Ken

Re: Unplanned NGD - '90s ASAT Classic Custom

Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:52 pm

what a beauty !! ...... man I turned into a big fan of binding here lately and I think the belly cut would be great on ASAT's though I have never tried one ..... is this a three bolt or four neck ??

Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks. It seemed like some sort of harmonic convergence when I saw this guitar, after reading threads about top binding, three vs. four-bolt necks, and BEM's potential for instability. This is a three-bolt neck with rift-sawn grain (which looks more like quartersawn unless you check the end of the headstock). The one I traded for it was a four-bolt with a gorgeous BEM neck.

The belly cut is very nice. Most of my favorite G&Ls (ASATs and first-style SCs) don't have them, so I'm used to the feel of a slab body. The contour on this one is a very good feature. If I ever order a new ASAT, it will definitely have one.

If I remember correctly, this is the first electric guitar I've ever owned with top binding. I'm a fan now.

Ken

Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:32 pm

Nice grab Ken, red guitars are great. :banana: Those original Classic Customs introduced some to the top binding.

What color ASAT Classic did you trade?

I understand the "Unplanned NGD" very well, :evilgrin:

Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:15 pm

That is one beautiful ASAT Ken! I love the look of the top binding on mine as well. The belly cut is a nice feature that I would like next time as well. Love the clear red finish! :happy0065:

I know the feeling of an unplanned NGD. I found my ASAT by chance. I walked into my local dealer to see what he had in G&L's when he told me he had my 2004 in the back room to keep it away from the teenagers who come into the shop. :happy0007: 30 minutes later I walked out with it.

Greg.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:52 pm

Thanks! The one I traded was blonde over swamp ash. The neck was the most attractive one I've ever seen (semi-gloss over BEM).

IMO, the unplanned NGDs are the best ones. I prefer to let my guitars find me, instead of me hunting for them.

Ken

Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:32 pm

Congratulations! :thumbup:

BTW, this model was only in production from 1996 to 1997, so it likely has a low production number built.

I notice that the control plate has been switched around, so that the pickup selector is closer to the bridge. Was this your change,
or did it come that way (done by a previous owner)?

Enjoy!

:ugeek:

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:25 am

KenC wrote:What started out as a quick stop at my local guitar shop ended up in an ongoing, massive gear swap. First up was a bass that I won't be bringing home for another month or two, until I can move out one of my G&Ls to make room for it. That one will be another thread for another day. The second one came home today, after swapping my beloved '98 ASAT Classic and a few rarely-used pedals for it. It took about five seconds yesterday to figure out that I would have to go for that trade. I thought it was just another really sweet looking ASAT Classic, but upon further research I believe it is the short-lived ASAT Classic Custom model from the 1990s.

Here are some rather poor photos I took this afternoon:

Congrats. I got one of those in lefty a few years back, also thinking it was an ASAT Classic.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:33 am

Yessir Ken, that would be a hard one to pass up. I have both belly cuts and bindings and they are wonderful.-- Darwin

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:16 am

That is one great find my friend! Congratulations :happy0065:

- Jos

P.S. Now I know who to pester ;)

Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:50 pm

Very cool find Ken. That red is sharp!

Ric

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:03 pm

Very nice guitar.

I almost bought a red guitar last week myself.

It is a wonderful experience when anything finds you. Looking for something can lead in all sorts of directions. It is hard to make a rule about it. It just feels really special when things line up and you are in a position to take advantage of the opportunity.

If I were to custom order an ASAT I'd consider the belly and front side arm contours, but then I could not have body binding so who knows?

I gather it wasn't in the cards to keep both ASAT's?

Can you post a picture of the one you traded showing the birdseye neck?

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Salmon wrote:If I were to custom order an ASAT I'd consider the belly and front side arm contours, but then I could not have body binding so who knows?

I don't think I've been aware of the lack of a forearm contour when I'm playing the ASAT CC. I do tend to angle the body slightly due to the belly cut, so that puts my forearm more parallel to the top. Then again, my go-to guitars for the past several months have been an '86 ASAT and the SC-3 in my avatar, so I haven't had any forearm cuts to miss.

Salmon wrote:I gather it wasn't in the cards to keep both ASAT's?

I'm sticking to a strict one-in-one-out policy these days. I'm going to need to move another one out to make room for the bass I just put on layaway. There will probably be an '80 F-100 in the Marketplace very soon if anybody is interested in trying a very early G&L.

Salmon wrote:Can you post a picture of the one you traded showing the birdseye neck?

If anyone's interested, it's at Atomic Music in Beltsville MD. It will probably end up on their eBay listings in a couple of days.

Ken