G&L based Lap Steel

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi,

I figured "WTH?" So I decided to build a lap steel guitar using a Saddle Lock Bridge and a Z-Coil pickup. This is the link to my guitar building page. The LS is at the bottom of the list. http://stormriders.com/guitar/telecaster/

It's not done yet, and I will be updating as time goes. At the moment, the only part I am missing is the pick guard. Chandler is about 3 weeks out for delivery. So a few more weeks on that.

Take care,

edg

Re: G&L based Lap Steel

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:02 pm

guitar_ed wrote:Hi,

I figured "WTH?"

Hell Ya !
I've been thinking that would be a very good idea for a while, it's fantastic to see someone go for it !

I had serial A12 of the first run of fender laps, the kind with the string thru pickup. I see fmic has reissued them.
I would love to have a G&L made deluxe(full scale) Lap in Margharita green sparkle burst , paint that whipper snapper the same
and make a 35th anniversary LE combo package. or something like that.

That's going to be a little monster .
what scale is it?

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi Elwood,

This one is 22.5" scale. The maple lap scale will be 25". When you say "full scale" above, what do you mean?

edg

Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:01 pm

Ed, I just spent an hour going through your builds. I laughed when you described stripping Poly. I couldn't find anything that would remove it either and sanded it off. Anyway, it was interesting going through your builds. You are not afraid to tackle something. Keep us updated on the lap steel. I never did see the final bass projects as the pages seem to be missing. Cool stuff Ed! -- Darwin

Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:16 pm

guitar_ed wrote:Hi Elwood,

This one is 22.5" scale. The maple lap scale will be 25". When you say "full scale" above, what do you mean?

edg

25 1/2" , to take full advantage of muscle memory and to help those blue notes even blue-er .

I'm still a newb to lap/slide stuff , and the smaller old champ I had seemed way too tight.
I'm sure it becomes easier with practice, good mandolin players astound me.
(I'm thinking about making a mAndo-SAT, I'd need to forge a tiny saddle lock bridge somehow ,
and black crinkle powder coat it ,of course )

I think I read somewhere Leo loved the hawaiian slide music.

Your Z1-LS is a nice Tribute to his Legacy :alright:

elwood

Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:24 pm

Elwood wrote:
Your Z1-LS is a nice Tribute to his Legacy :alright:

elwood

Z1-LS

I like it. Since I am planning to build another LS in maple, with a 25" scale, I think that this should be model Z1-LS 225 A. SN: WTF-0001

And so she is. And so she will be marked, tomorrow.

Later,

edg

Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:37 pm

guitar_ed wrote:[ SN: WTF-0001

hehehe...I'm still laughing.. :lol: ...that's classic!

later,elwood

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi All,

I just did an update, with some new pix.

Take care,

edg

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:57 pm

It's alive! Alive, I tell you. Alive!

I still have set-up work to do, intonation, putting on the fretboard, adjusting the saddles for height. But even all kinds of wonky, it sounds good & loud.

You can see it here: http://stormriders.com/guitar/telecaster/

Later,

edg

Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:45 am

What an inspired project; the Z-coil and saddle-lock seem perfect for a lap. :happy0065:
Do you think trying a little, resonance-shifting cap, as a pull-switched tone option, might do good things?
Please be sure to tell us how you get on!

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi Guys,

Here is my latest, and for now last, lap steel guitar.

I used a SL bridge and soap bar pup off a Tribute guitar. The body is maple, with some flame. I have some details to finish up, but it sounds really good. :banana:

I used a fret saw to cut a groove for the frets, which are blacked dyed wood from Luthier Mercantile.

I need to make these things a bit wider, maybe 1.5", in the butt end so that I can put the pots outside the bridge, rather than behind it.

Take care,

edg

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:47 pm

It is shaping up Ed! The big MFD looks cool and a much easier route than the Z-coil. Glad to hear it sounds good. How do you plan on finishing the body? -- Darwin

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:42 pm

Darwin,

Oy. It is finished. A thin stain and a light coat of nitro. It be done. :)

edg

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:20 pm

Very nice work Ed :happy0065:

Maybe your next one will have one of those overwound big MFD that we hope is coming to the On-Line Store :evilgrin:

Post clips when you can.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:49 pm

Nice work.. I too just got sucked into lookng trhough your builds. Very impressive.