Humbucking my Tribute Legacy

Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:53 pm

I'm just starting my Legacy single coil to humbucker conversion project.
I bought a new pickguard from http://www.greasygroove.com/categories.php?cat=4.
It is a 8 hole, and my tribute is an 11 hole, a couple holes line up. But will have to drill
the rest. Leaving the old holes so I can still switch with the old pickguard.
So, if I don't like the sound or want to change it back it'll just be an easy pickguard set
change. I went with the DiMarzio Fast Track Strat Pickup (single coil size humbucker rails),
similar to the Legacy Deluxe stock G&L humbucker rails. Which could be another option for you.
All 500k pots, new output jack with shielded wiring (metal braided cover). Splitting the coils is
as easy as putting in a push-pull pot. http://www.stewmac.com is a good source for pots, wires,
shielding foil, etc.

Re: Humbucking my Tribute Legacy

Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:48 am

Stock Tribute Legacy.

New parts to put on. The switch shown didn't work, made for 2 wire single coils not 4 wire humbuckers. So ordered a different one.

Stock Tribute Legacy tuners.

New Schaller locking tuners installed.

Back side of original Tribute Legacy pickguard.

Back side of new pickguard with copper shielding tape and new pickups.

Trying on the new pickguard, with new pickups installed, required some shaving on the pickguard neck and trem areas.
Last edited by tdiers on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:25 am

i would highly recommend a push push pot instead. the push pull is notoriously difficult to pull up with the strat style knobs. mouser is a better source than stewmac, way bigger selection, much better prices. why not get a real switch and wire it yourself? those pcb mounted prewired switches fail often and repairs and part changes are difficult. switches work for both humbuckers and single coils. you are still only connecting 2 wires. unless you are coil splitting, but then the switch still only gets the hot from the coil splitting switch. it doesn't make sense that you needed a different one.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:28 am

Yeah, this pcb switch was supposed to be an easy solder-less switch that allows you to apply different resistor values on the tone & volume pots with a dip switch change. However, it didn't allow for coil splitting and there are only 2 ground ports (it works like plugging a speaker wire into most speakers, you push down and insert the wire into the hole). So I would have 3 sets of 2 ground wires (3 pickups and output jack) to put in those two ground holes. I could make it fit by soldering them together and adding a single wire lead onto them. However, I rethought my plan and bought a more standard type of switch that allows for coil splitting. Waiting for them to come in the mail. All of my guitars have knurled knobs that work great with push-pull pots.

Here's the switch I bought. If it craps out, then I'll just replace it with a standard type and a push-pull pot.
http://www.stewmac.com/3484.html?utm_me ... ab=Details

My intent is to not use any parts off the original pickguard assembly so that I can replace it if I want to in the future. Instead build a full, drop in, replacement pickguard.

Thanks for pointing me towards Mouser Elec. I will keep them in mind for any future parts.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:57 am

Well finally finished with the humbucker installation in my legacy. Got it all together, new strings, pickup heights adjusted, and cleaned.
Plugged it in and it was awesome! All controls worked great. :elguitar054:

After playing for about 30 minutes I decided to put on the volume and tone knobs. They were a tight fit and had to push down
hard to get them on. Now there's no sound, basically it's dead now. Played around with the pots, pushing, pulling, twisting,
no luck. Now I have to take it all apart now to find out what's wrong.

Can you ruin pots by push down too hard on the shaft?

Anyways, here's the final pics.

Here's the backside of the assembled pickguard. I did straighten up the wire routing prior to installation.

Finished guitar ready to play. The Dimarzio Fast Track Strat pickup set sound awesome!

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:57 am

you want to put on the knobs before installing the pg, so you can support the backside. more than likely the pots are fine, and a solder came loose or the hot touched the ground somewhere. why didn't you put the knobs on first? also, if the knobs are tight, you squeeze the top together a little bit to make it an easier fit.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:33 am

:oops: In the excitement of finally getting it back together, I forgot about them until it was time to play it.
Thanks for the tips, I'll check it out when I get time, and the energy, take it apart again.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Well, took the pickguard off, resoldered a few points on the pots, redirected some wires, and replaced it ensuring that nothing shorted out. It is working again. :banana:

Great sound. Can't wait to start playing it.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:11 am

Just replaced the Bass cut tone pot for a 1meg push/pull pot and also replaced the 5 way switch with a Wilkinson 5-way. Then rewired everything to S-500 specs with push/pull adding neck or bridge pickup in the 1 and 5 position and all pickups in the 2 and 4 position. Much better sound options now.
:elguitar054:

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:31 am

Awesome home made Legacy Special! Rocking dude.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:14 am

Thanks Jag! I'm finally happy with it. It came together pretty well. And it was a good learning experience.