ASAT Classic Custom pickup swap

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:14 am

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I checked several threads looking for this answer, but couldn't find specifically what I'm looking for, so please forgive me if it's been discussed already. Feel free to copy to link if there is an existing thread that answers this.

I have an ASAT Classic Custom that was given to me. I personally don't care for the MFD pickups, so I am going to swap them for a more standard tele set. I will be using Porter Custom tele pickups.
Here is a link to the page http://www.porterpickups.com/products/t ... m-tele.php

Being that my model has a neck pickup close to the size of a p90, I know I will have to change the pickguard. I am currently in communication with Chandler about getting the correct pickguard to fit a standard tele neck pickup. I would prefer to mount the neck pickup to the pickguard, so they will be making proper holes to allow for that. I've read on forums that some can tell the difference between body mount and pickguard mount and some don't feel it makes a huge difference. I prefer the pickguard mount because it seems like an easier install and less drilling in the body.

I was examiming how the exising neck pickup is mounted. It was a quick look, so I could have missed it, but how is the large MFD mounted to the body? I didn't see the screws to unmount it. I am curious also how to unmount the bridge pickup as I will be replacing it also.

Any recommendations on using the exisiting wire or is it preferred to use the new pickups wire?

Any suggestions and tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: ASAT Classic Custom pickup swap

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:27 am

The neck pickup is mounted with 3 screws through the pickup into the body, you should be able to see the screws if you remove the pickguard.

-JT

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:21 am

There's a chance that the standard Tele pickup is wider than the MFD, you should check that before.

Of course you don't use the existing pickup wires for the new ones, instead you will solder them off from the selector switch and the pots and solder the wires of the new pickups right to that places.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:38 pm

Pulled the guard again this afternoon. The neck pu had a plastic cover. 3 screws holding it on. Once I removed the cover, I can see the neck pickup. Don't see any signs of screws mounting this pickup to the body. Whatever is holding it on is holding it pretty firmly. Anyone have any experience here?

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:17 pm

sorry i was talking about the 3 screw holes you can see around the pickup , guess they just go through the cover ( been awhile since i had a big MFD uncovered) i dont know what would be holding it on as far as i knew there was only springs under there......

sorry i cant be of more help , hopefully someone else knows whats going on

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:56 pm

All of my large MFDs are much older than this one, but they float on springs and are only held down by the three screws through the cover. AFAIK the design hasn't changed since 1982. I did have to work a pickup loose from an '82 L-1000 I'm restoring, but that one had been wedged into the cavity with a wet coat of spray paint. I doesn't look like your ASAT has those kinds of problems though.

Maybe the guitar is trying to tell you that it wants to stay stock... :lol:

Ken

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:10 pm

maverick927 wrote:Any suggestions and tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You might consider trading it in for the new ASAT Classic Alnico. And if you don't like Paul's pickups you can drop in the other ones you mentioned.

ASAT Classic Alnico

Just my $0.02.

:ugeek:

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:01 pm

did you have any luck getting the pup out of there? curious as to why its being so stubborn..

Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:09 pm

Not yet. Planning to get those p'ups out within the next week. New pickups are on the way. I'm thinking I may try a hair dryer to release the glue or adhesive. I can put a small piece of cardboard over the pickup to protect it from the heat.
Any other suggestions with this?

Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:39 pm

maverick927 wrote:Any other suggestions with this?

No, normally it should look like this below the pickup:

It's crazy to glue it in.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:02 pm

maybe an abundance of potting wax? i dunno , very strange

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:21 pm

maverick927 wrote:Not yet. Planning to get those p'ups out within the next week. New pickups are on the way. I'm thinking I may try a hair dryer to release the glue or adhesive. I can put a small piece of cardboard over the pickup to protect it from the heat.
Any other suggestions with this?

i would be careful with that. you don't know if it's glue, or rust or whatever. i would just gently pry it

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:33 am

Miles Smiles wrote:
maverick927 wrote:Any other suggestions with this?

No, normally it should look like this below the pickup:

It's crazy to glue it in.

Thanks for the pic. I will give it another look when the pickups arrive.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:34 am

Alright, finally had some free time this weekend to get the pickups in. (I know, I know. Ridiculous to have pickups and the pick guard sitting there for weeks, but so goes life)

Turns out that the neck pickup popped right out with some gentle pressure from a small flat head screw driver. Seems maybe some wax or coating was sticking to the body. Anyhow, once that was out, everything went smooth. The new pickups and guard fit great. Here's before and after pics:

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:22 am

The before picture Looks a lot like mine !
I understand that you may dislike MFDs, but please, don't throw them, they are incredible pickups but have somewhat of a long learning curve. Maybe you will give them a try another day who knows ?!

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:34 am

supereiv wrote:The before picture Looks a lot like mine !
I understand that you may dislike MFDs, but please, don't throw them, they are incredible pickups but have somewhat of a long learning curve. Maybe you will give them a try another day who knows ?!

Oh I by no means will get rid of them. Who knows, one day I may wind up putting them back in. Right now my preference was to have more of a traditional tele sound. The MFDs are a great pickup for what they do. Might come back around to them.