85 "blue dress" Rampage project ( no nudity)

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Just got done (poorly) refinishing my 85 rampage body and set the hardware on it so i thought id share

I still haven't ruled out going with chrome hardware or a boba fett knob but have the decal and the dust filled finish done ! This one was very frustrating as i no longer have a good place to spray and i just could not keep from getting dust in the finish so after the 3rd time of stripping it i decided go ahead and finish ( dust and all ) and i can always refinish or have it done professionally later.

All and all it still came out pretty cool a bit of a tribute to Jerry's #1 with my own spin, just need to finish the neck now .

-JT

Re: 85 "blue dress" Rampage project ( no nudity)

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:30 am

Hey JT,

Looks really cool, thanks for sharing. Cant wait to see her all put back together.

Scott

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:12 am

Looks good! The Vader knob is a nice touch too :thumbup:

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks for the kind words, this axe is an old favorite that started my G&L superstrat addiction .Ive had this beast for about 15 years but its been in parts for about 5 . Every freaking time i set out to restore her something happens and i put it aside then procrastinate procrastinate procrastinate .... well this time its by god getting done! .... as per the agreement with my wife to keep it off eBay

if the finish doesn't turn out great oh well its a rampage i wont feel bad slapping stickers on her ( "Alice" is a decal under the clearcoat) i really wish i had "before " pics , this thing looked like it caught fire and somebody put it out with an ice pick. anyway ill keep you all posted.

-JT

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:55 am

JT, you mentioned that you had some lint in the finish. Unless you sprayed it with an enamel (check to make sure), if you used a spray can it could very well be lacquer and you could carefully wet sand with 1000, 1500 and 2000 wet sandpaper and this thing could look like a pro refinish. A slight buff after that and it would be a mirror. Enamel cannot be sanded and buffed. I would use a rubber sanding block or a smooth block of wood behind the sandpaper. -- Darwin

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:53 am

Thanks Darwin, i did use nitro throughout . I'm on the road for a couple weeks but hopefully when i get home the wet sanding will cure some of my dust issues and if not oh well ill just play it until i can set up a decent paint area :D

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:01 am

well i got back in town and started the wet sanding, long story short i had i little bit of sand through ( on the decal and a small spot through to the primer ) im going to sand it down a bit and touch up the color then reapply the decal and clearcoat ... any tips on keeping dust out of the finish without a proper paint booth either inside or outside?

thanks
JT