Remove the hum

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:16 pm

35A bridge rectifier, 10 ohm 5 watt R, and a .1uf Cap.
Placed on fiberglass board. Solder together. Link to ground.
Because I have rack mount gear. Ground loops are a possibility.
This suppose to work better than a ground lift and is safer.
Total cost < $10.
Here it is
One in the Power amp and the other in the pre-amp. Now the only noise is coming from the Single Coils.

Here is more info on the subject.
FYI, this page takes loooong to load.
http://www.epanorama.net/blog/2010/06/22/secrets-of-hum-elimination-plug/

Re: Remove the hum

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:00 pm

is it acting as a filter to ground?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:43 pm

Louis, it will filter out the ground loop hum.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:03 am

I'm intrigued,
I've been playing around with swapping tubes in my gear (hoping to learn something
along with the tone quest )...and have both my Trio's opened up to play with.
In a new thread I'll post pics and some observations I've made. There are some immediately noticeable differences between the old Trio's and the newer silverface 's (25th anniv.) circuitry.

One thing I noticed though that's noise related is that
(at least in the case of the earlier brownface Trio) there is a low hum that is accentuated with the top cover of the chassis ON, I would have thought it would be quieter with more metal around the guts...but reality at the moment says no.

I guess the next step is to make sure there isn't any paint in the screw holes preventing the plate from sending RF to the ground...then check the rest of the ground plates etc.

thanks for sharing meowmix

PS. The L2000 came in yesterday...those Trio's are good for more than just guitar ; )
It was tough to put it down :thumbup:

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:32 am

FYI: I did not add this circuit to the primary winding transformer/AC plug side. That is called the safety ground. I have no interest putting something in the way of safety ground. This addition was put on the secondary transformer side for the audio ground. My instructions came from Kevin O'Connor. i.e. KOC and his TUT3 book, plus a little here,and a little there from Elliot Hi FI doc(link above), and the wizard pdf (http://valvewizard2.webs.com/Grounding.pdf).

Elwood, it is interesting to hear you have the silver version. I read about those, but missed the opportunity to get one.
I too would like to know what other grounding techniques were done.

The amp I am building now was made from the Hammond rack mount chassis. There is a thick paint covering the metal.
Just last week, I tackled that paint problem so the whole chassis is connected together. Remember, if you are using rack mount chassis. One ground of one chassis is the same as another. Because they are all connected by the rack. And that is why ground loops are more susceptible, this contraption should help.

Right now my guitar is plugged into the Trio, but my bass is plugged into this guy
Image.
But I still use the D75 for the power amp. Which, btw, is one versatile power amp. It is so cool.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:43 am

meowmix wrote:

Elwood, it is interesting to hear you have the silver version. I read about those, but missed the opportunity to get one.
I too would like to know what other grounding techniques were done.

I'll post some good pics of each soon...it's like looking at marshalls from different periods,
the older brownface has two big filter caps..the silver only one...etc...
moral of the story: buy the old ones, without the 1+3 option.
(you didn't miss out on anything...it's just bling, I'd rather have another filter cap than a chromed faceplate :eh: )

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:33 pm

louis cyfer wrote:is it acting as a filter to ground?

Let me clarify.

In the old days, rack mount gear are connected together. Hence, the same ground.
Ground loops and hum would happen. One solution, which is really bad, is to have a ground Lift. The purpose of a ground Lift is to Lift the circuit off the ground.
Instead of having ground in each chassis, only one will have ground and the rest would use the ground Lift.
A better solution was found using this Ground Line. This will remove the hum coming from ground loops and keep the circuit connected to ground.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:39 pm

Elwood wrote: I'll post some good pics of each soon...it's like looking at marshalls from different periods,
the older brownface has two big filter caps..the silver only one...etc...
moral of the story: buy the old ones, without the 1+3 option.
(you didn't miss out on anything...it's just bling, I'd rather have another filter cap than a chromed faceplate :eh: )

Since the proliferation of computers. Capacitors have been getting smaller and smaller.
Just because it looks small does not mean it is worse off. Personally, I think these new caps are much better than before.
The amp I am building, the filter caps are dinky compared to the BlackFace Fender Bassman electrolytic caps. Those were big and expensive. Glad I sold it.