67 Skylark GA-5T Project Redux

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:21 pm

[url][/http://s1289.beta.photobucket.com/user/mgreene300/library/url]

http://s1289.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 0/library/

Here's some pix of my 2nd attempt at reviving a classic amp. From what I can tell it is similar to an old Champ. I got it about 15 yrs ago with a busted chassis and speaker. My stepdad and I created the monsterously heavy MDF black cab pictured in the album and I put a Jensen C10r ceramic speaker in it. Well it sounded like crap and I was gonna get rid of it, then he passed away & I had to keep it for sentimental reasons. It sat in the closet and moved with me around the country, all this time, never being played until this past summer. I decided if I'm keeping it forever, I should make it playable! Thank goodness for the fine folks sharing info in forums like this or part 2 would have been a disaster as well. So I replaced the filter cap w/ Spragues, removed the death cap, added a Mercury Magnetic output transformer, built a lighter birch plywood cab, finished it and added a grounded jack for removable 3 prong cord. Somehow I managed to tear the speaker (Im guessing one of my kids helped). This turned out to be a blessing because I believe the Weber Alnico I then had to buy was the single most helpful addition. Now it sounds fantastic- even better than it did in 67 if I had to guess. I also experimented w/ different tubes- big shocker, the original RCAs sound best, with the EH a close 2nd, & JJs not bad either.

Re: 67 Skylark GA-5T Project Redux

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:10 pm

your rebuild looks great ( and safe), well done !

I have a old little Magnatone Lelani that I know will rock once I sus out what has gone south.

I've never rebuilt a tube amp but I'm ready to tackle some intermediate projects.
I finally got a nice soldering station , crappy but functional multimeter , and am beginning to
understand intuitively tube amp architecture.

I'm looking forward to getting my maggie up and running.
any guidance suggestions is always appreciated.

congrats again on a real nice job, that's gotta make playing even a bit more intimate .

Elwood

Re: 67 Skylark GA-5T Project Redux

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:28 pm

I was lucky- didn't really have to know much more than how to not get bit by caps. I basically followed the old Google path of others. But mine isn't as rare as yours so it might be tougher to find info on. I'll be glad to help if I can though. There's a guy named Searcy on the Gibson board that is very knowledgeable and helpful on these type things. He builds custom pickups in Nashville and I believe works for Gibson.