Need help with a build!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:28 am

I am currently gathering parts for a Jazz bass build that I plan to finish when I get home from my deployment... The idea for this build is that I am trying to incorporate all of my favorite American companies. I have a Fender-style American body (Warmoth), Lakland pickups, Sadowsky preamp, Modulus neck, and I want to round it out with a G&L bridge. My body is already routed with the standard Fender 5 bolt, and I know the G&L is a 3 bolt but I also know that some 3 bolt after market bridges still line up with 3 of the holes on the Fender mount. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I'll be able to get a G&L bridge on a Fender 5-bolt mount. :shocked028:

Re: Need help with a build!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:38 am

A picture would be helpful, but right off the bat I'd say to have a drill press and plunge router on hand. The SaddleLock bridge has six mounting screws (at least it did from 1980-2000, which is when my G&L basses were built). More importantly, it has raised section on the underside that fits into a route in the body. The route shouldn't be very difficult to make, if you are comfortable building your own template.

I hope this helps. A photo of the body would make it easier to give a firm answer.

cv115505 wrote:when I get home from my deployment...

That brings back memories. Thanks for serving!

Ken

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:32 pm

Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:15 am

Here's a pic from of an early-mid 80's L-1000 body:

and a link to the album that has more pictures of the unloaded body.

http://www.slickpic.com/album/_201206220304#

...and also...Welcome ,

Elwood

Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:52 am

thanks for all the help, but judging by those pictures its not looking good for me :music002: i emailed G&L about a possible custom deal but i doubt theyll be willing

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:23 pm

I think that you may be confusing the G&L older 3- bolt neck attachment with a 3- bolt bridge. G&L bass bridges were never only 3 bolts or screws and the saddle lock bridge always had that oval protrusion in the base of the bridge so that the bridge sustained through the body.

If I were you, I would use a conventional Jazz bass bridge to avoid having to route an already contoured body and suffer possibly dubious results.

Good luck with your project.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:36 am

Having built a Warmoth bodied custom before, the way to go with this if you wanted go with a saddle lock bridge, is to order the body from Warmoth without the Bridge route and then have your local Luthier place the bridge for you.