Adding Ilitch Coil to G&L Legacy ... noise is gone.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:32 am

I thought I might put this drawing up. I figured out how to install one of the Ilitch noiseless coils (same as the Suhr guitars use) in the swimming pool route but still use the stock RWRP G&L Legacy pickups. The system only uses the Ilitch coil when on the 1-3-5 settings. On 2-4 settings, the coil is disabled and the regular RWRP cancellation occurs. When the 3 setting is used the coil is "flipped" for the middle pickup. All pretty cool ... and it works ... so for reference:

Just a picture taken during installation ... again the coil fits in the swimming pool route per the photo above.

Re: Adding Ilitch Coil to G&L Legacy ... noise is gone.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Very cool!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Thanks ... I had an error in the wiring sketch ... forgot to update it here ... so thanks for the reminder.

Also ... I loaded some low wind David Allen pickups and tried it with the Ilitch coil. Completely noiseless too. The wiring is identical for the stock G&L Legacy pickups. Here's a youtube clip:

[youtube]xgtnMUeXKK4[/youtube]

I like 'em ... especially with the G&L PTB wiring. :mrgreen:
Last edited by doveman on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:00 am

Tasty licks doveman, tasty licks .... :happy0065:

Sounds great!

- Jos

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks for the comments :D

Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:22 pm

sounds very nice. i love those dallen bigcats i have the prototype of those.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:37 pm

I have no doubt it works well, but am I the only one who find the device very elaborate and expensive considering the simple job it does? Then again, maybe it's just me, getting irritated over yet another pricey "boutique" product....

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:37 pm

editorjuno wrote:I have no doubt it works well, but am I the only one who find the device very elaborate and expensive considering the simple job it does? Then again, maybe it's just me, getting irritated over yet another pricey "boutique" product....

Just a better tool ... less $ than all the noiseless pickups I've bought in total but I like it. No biggie ... just sharing.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:43 am

Understood -- and I agree that many of the noiseless pickups on the market are are also very "boutique"-pricey (imo Kinman and Barden being major offenders in that respect), especially given the trial and error process involved in finding a set you really like. Peace!