7 string build

Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:00 am

After getting my Raines 7 string I thought the idea of a Baritone string was great. The only thing I have a problem with is the sound. That rear pickup is too far away from the bridge to get any Tele quack/bite. SO I thought I would order some parts from Warmoth to build my own. I didn't like the body style of what they had in stock so I got my own piece of wood.

I found a nice length of American White Ash at a local lumber yard (enought to make 3 guitars), but still cheaper than getting it from Warmoth.

Here is the board after dad joined it and ran it through a thicknesser at my Uncles place. His thicknesser was able to take the full board width once joined.

All other hardware and the neck came from Warmoth

and the electronics are coming from Tom at Mojotone - http://mojotone.com

So today we started to build the body. It took a while before we attacked this piece of wood. Dad mad up a jig for the neck rout to make sure it fits nice and snug and is in the center. Ance that was done we did another one for the body.

I now have a rough body.

Here it is with the neck just sitting in the socket.

Then visitors arrived at my parent house so work stopped.

Nex step is to rout the pickups (going to do a swimming pool rout as pickups still on there way), control cavity and mount the bridge and neck.

Re: 7 string build

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:16 am

Wow, keep us posted on this one as it progresses!!-- Darwin