"Restored" Mid-Eighties Acoustic

Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:58 am

It's a Fender Acoustic from the mid-eighties. Soon after I bought it, luthier Tom Barth took it to another level. Gold Ping Machines, re-braced, scrimshaw bridge bone from early Martin, and ebony bridge pins w/ dark abalone dots. I added a Fishman Rare Earth & cleaned it up after about 7 years in a case. I love the abalone headstock logo...

Cheers,

Will

Re: "Restored" Mid-Eighties Acoustic

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:09 pm

Very nice indeed. The tuning pegs set the colour of the timber off well.

Out of curiosity - when you say scrimshaw bridge piece - do you mean it's actually whale bone?

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Very handsome. Nice piece of rosewood there. The new hardware is a nice touch.

This may strike you as a dumb question, but what does she sound like? - ed

Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:51 am

Dreadnaught shapes are always uncomfortable for me for some reason. Great looking guitar; nice job bringing it back!

Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Zap, It sounds like a cross between an old scrimshaw'ed Matrin and a Gibson Blues King. Yeah, that's about right. The scrimshaw is from fossilized bone, perhaps walrus... and out of an old Martin. Comfort-wise, my arm falls over the side ok and it fits me well. Although, I'm partial to vintage Ovations.

Cheers,

Will

Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:40 pm

Nice Fender resto Will. I liked the older Fender acoustics. I have a 1962 Concert model which will be restored before too long. I need to refinish the top in nitro (Perfect Condition) and then I will have the bridge glued back on. I bought it new.-- Darwin

Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:56 pm

Thanks Will. If you ever record anything with her, I'd be interested in having a listen. -ed

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:39 pm

This is a recording used in an animation video short:

[youtube]iEksnSES-nU[/youtube]

I recorded it a while back. Cheers.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:35 am

Excellent. Thanks! - ed