My G&L Superhawk Project

Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:57 pm

It's not 100% the way I want it yet, but I have really been enjoying this guitar!

Re: My G&L Superhawk Project

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:14 am

Wow! Look spretty good! :happy0065:

- Jos

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:22 am

Thank you!

It has been a very fun project. I have a set of the original Schaller pups, but it sounds so good with these pups that I'm hesitant to swap them. And while I'd like to get an original G&L string lock, the guitar stays in tune without it so I don't know if I'd want to install one.

I still need original knobs and control cavity backplate, but otherwise it is what it is!

Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Is that a maple body?

Ken

Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:56 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying Ken.

This thread hasn't exactly been on fire so I haven't checked back too often.

Yes the body is soft maple. It was originally pink, but had already been stripped when I purchased it. That was part of the appeal for me, as I love to be able to see the grain in the wood.

I haven't weighed this one but it is a very reasonable weight.

Please note: I edited this post to reflect correct info. I originally (incorrectly) stated that the body was alder.
Last edited by ant_riv on Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:29 pm

very nice. is that a kahler tremolo? that looks like my favorite tremolos. very responsive and requires very little effort.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:31 am

ant_riv wrote: I am not sure if he ever used maple for bodies.

Yours might be Soft Northern Maple...see this post:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3018&view=previous

There is a couple stripped maple G&L's in this thread.

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewt ... &view=next

Elwood

Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:32 am

louis cyfer wrote:very nice. is that a kahler tremolo? that looks like my favorite tremolos. very responsive and requires very little effort.

Yes it is a Kahler (model 2300).

I really like it also. Very smooth feel and it adds a nice "twang" to the guitar.
I like the standard G&L dual-fulcrum bridge also but on this guitar the Kahler just seems right.

I don't have the locking piece for the headstock or string trees but this guitar hasn't needed them. Stays in tune very nicely.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:49 am

Thank you for that information Elwood!

From looking at the pics in the threads you linked to the grain pattern and mineral streaks do match the soft maple.

I had just 'assumed' it was alder based on the lack of figuring. Great to learn the truth. I appreciate it!

Ken, I was wrong. Post changed to reflect the correct info.

:happy0065:

Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:27 am

My SB-1 has a transparent finish. It took me a very long time to figure out the body was maple. It looks a lot like the straight grain in Elwood's Invader (in the link).

Gabe's comments on the use of maple and the differences in density were interesting. My SB-1 is hands-down the lightest bass I've ever played, but my maple-body '86 ASAT is seriously heavy. I had the Skyhawk out the other day, and comparing it to the ASAT I'm beginning to suspect it may be maple as well.

Ken

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks for the info!

I need to check my red Skyhawk's body wood more closely.
It is the partial guitar seen in the picture. I always assumed it was ash.
Could easily be maple though, as it is slightly heavy.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:40 pm

I've thought about taking some close-up photos of some of my woodworking lumber stash. I don't have any alder, but I do have a bit of maple and several pieces of ash. I wonder if it would be useful to have a "wood reference" section in the Gallery.

Ken