Restoration Complete 1986 ASAT!

Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Some of you may remember when I first got this guitar and the state it was in. Well, I can finally say that I have completed all that I want to do to it. I had it set up, ordered a replacement pickguard, cleaned it up in general, installed a 4 way switch, applied custom made waterslide decals and shot the headstock with clear lacquer.

This was all made possible by a friendly local poster on TGP who met up with me and allowed me to snap shots of his headstock. I also had the help of a poster from the Orange Amps forum I frequent. He did all of the graphics work for the logo etc with the help of the pics I snapped.

I am absolutely thrilled with the outcome of the hard work.

Here are a couple before pics:

And the new and improved "after" pictures:

Re: Restoration Complete 1986 ASAT!

Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:44 pm

Wow! Great job :happy0065:
Just like an '86 ASAT is supposed to look like. Did you use a time-correct plastic guard or did you go the aluminum route?

- Jos

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:51 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Wow! Great job :happy0065:
Just like an '86 ASAT is supposed to look like. Did you use a time-correct plastic guard or did you go the aluminum route?

- Jos

Thanks!

Plastic 1 ply black. I think that's what come stock on it. It's what was on there and cut out for the HB. So tat's what I went with.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:46 pm

Lovely, the decal looks spot on!

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Nice job. WTH was someone doing witha middle humbucker? :lol:

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:35 am

sirmyghin wrote:Nice job. WTH was someone doing with a middle humbucker? :lol:

It actually didn't sound bad. It was a pat # Gibson HB. But, man it really looked terrible in there. And, it just didn't sound the way the guitar was made to sound in my opinion. SO, I pulled it out and never looked back.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:17 am

Wonderful job of restoration, and it has that classy classic look. Was there routing done to accommodate the middle humbucker, and if there was, does it affect how the guitar sounds?

Kit

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:09 pm

Kit wrote:Wonderful job of restoration, and it has that classy classic look. Was there routing done to accommodate the middle humbucker, and if there was, does it affect how the guitar sounds?

Kit

There was routing done. I talked to my Luthier about it. He said any change would have been minimal at best. I asked about filling it in and he said that would likely deaden things a bit. Thanks for the compliment on it. I really love this guitar. I know the maple body wasn't really meant to be a natural finish. You can tell because the grain isn't "ideal". But, that's ok by me. I love it the way it is.

Thanks again.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:42 pm

Hey Brian! Looks great! Go Packers!.....LOL.