Hipshot B/G Bender Installation

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:24 am

One of these fantastic contraptions was in the letterbox today

A Hipshot b-bender with an extra lever to bend the G to an A, and a toggle to lower the bottom E to a D!

Like most things we haven't done before, I came across a couple of problems. First up is that the Hipshot units aren't compatible with the standard ASAT Classic bridge. The saddle screws are in the way of where holes need to be, so you need to be using a 3-saddle bridge. Luckily I had one, albeit attached to another guitar. It's one of those hideously overpriced Glendale units. I drilled a few holes in it for the strings to pass though.

Those of you with an eye for detail may have noticed that I drilled 4 four holes. I got the one for the low E a bit off to the side (I wish I had a centre punch). Those with an even keener eye for detail will notice that I drilled a hole for the high E instead of the G. That would become problem number 3. Problem number 2 is this:

The extra long screw for securing the unit to the body of the guitar doesn't fit inside the strap buttons. Luckily I know how to solve that problem using a drill and a file:

I got the unit installed and strung the E, A and D strings before I realised I'd left out the hole for the G. So I removed the bridge again, clamped it up again, and drilled another hole this time in the right place....

Fast forward an hour or so and it's installed, calibrated, the guitar has had it's second full setup in as many weeks :D

My first impression about the unit is that it gets in the way of my picking hand. To pick near the saddles my hand is hard up to what I'm going to call the G string activator. I can imagine it getting knocked when strumming too wildly. Fortunately it's a very well made unit and so far my strumming has failed to knock anything by accident, but the real test for that will be at the next gig.

Here's a 'Pros Vs. Cons' list

Pros
# Can do bends otherwise very difficult/impossible without one
# Dont have to turn the tuning key to go into drop-d tuning
# Looks really cool

Cons
# Requires tuning
# Takes away some of the t-style charm. It's no longer a plank with strings...
# Hinders picking hand movement
# Will require some case butchering to get the lid to shut
# Requires maintenance (greasing up whenever you change strings

So is it a permanent fixture? Perhaps. I have to learn how to implement it into my playing before I can really decide whether it's worth the hassle.

Thanks for looking!

Re: Hipshot B/G Bender Installation

Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:37 am

Jaime,

Thanks for the update and it sounds like you have a great new enhancement to your playing. I have been on the fence with either a hipshot b bender or the version you have. I may stick with the b bender only now, mainly based on the picking comments, but I can see one coming.

Keep up the posts and clips when possible.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:32 am

Jamie,interesting setup. I owned a Fender B-Bender and used it on Eagles stuff. It worked very well but was so heavy and hard on my shoulder that I eventually traded it. This would not be an issue for a young guy. I had thought about trying the hipshot at one point, as they sure work well for Will. I had to oil the fulcrum point on the Fender or it would squeak. The only concern I would have with your setup would be binding of the string on the saddle. Does it always return to tune properly? I have a drop D tuner that I have used but removed it due to concerns about wearing the nut. Let us know how this one works out for you. You can really get some cool sounds with these.-- Darwin

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:58 pm

The G string activator and E-D toggle didn't even make it through the first night. I've removed them. They were simply too much of a hindrance to my picking hand and made the guitar feel like too much work. My girlfriend said it looks like I'm overcompensating, having something like that on the guitar :shock: Even simply using the G string activator felt awkward to me and afterwards it stays in the way until you have time to push it out. I hated it. The effects of the E-D toggle can be easily duplicated by simply turning the tuning machines, and they don't get in the way of your picking hand. YMMV.

The B-bender, on the other hand, is FUNtastic It's a great little contraption and it's genuinely fun to use - you can either swing the guitar into your hip OR push your hip to the side to hit it, which looks pretty funny - I'm sure the audience would chuckle :D . It will be staying permanently.

Sam: I'd certainly recommend getting just the b-bender. If ever you want to try the other bits out I'll give 'em to you. I'll see if I get time to record a clip this afternoon.

Darwin: One other negative of the G string activator is that it always returned sharp. The E and B are fine. This unit also requires greasing. I don't have any grease on it yet but will pick some up today and see if the tuning holds up better. I'd love to try out a Parsons-Green bender (like the one in your old Fender) but they cost a hell of a lot of money. One day I'll get one though.

EDIT: added a YMMV. These are only my opinions, feel free to think otherwise.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:08 pm

I had the idea last night for a b-bender version of 'Crazy Arms', as a tribute to steel guitar great Ralph Mooney who died earlier this week. I have until Sunday to get it together, we want to play it at a gig for some die hard country music fans. I'll post a recording of it when I'm done. Stay tuned!

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:14 pm

Ralph Mooney died? I had not heard. Can't imagine Waylon without him--he was a heck of a Whaler for sure. RIP Ralph.

But I am looking forward to your clip.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:29 pm

sickbutnottired wrote:Ralph Mooney died? I had not heard. Can't imagine Waylon without him--he was a heck of a Whaler for sure. RIP Ralph.

I'm afraid so. Here's a thread on the Steel guitar forum. He was a regular poster over there.