Bluesboy Bigsby Conversion- Details-Long

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:42 am

The question to many is why would someone do this. I happen to like Bigsbys for their control, stability and I think that they are cool looking. I have done several conversions but this was my first on an ASAT guitar.

Even though the G&L and Fender t types look almost identical, there are slight differences which are apparent only when measured. The important thing is that they are both 25 1/2 scale neck. Everything has to happen around that if you want a usable guitar when you are done. I started on Saturday and backed out because I discovered the pickup cavity would have to routed and also the pickguard would have to be trimmed about 3/16 of an inch. The G&L is 31" from the nut to the end of the body and a Tele is 31 1/4. This is significant as there is almost no extra room to work with due to the length of the F Bigsby. I remind you that this F Bigsby is a drop in on a Tele with no routing or pickguard modification. You cannot be to careful in the layout and measuring as there is no correcting if an error is made. I am only going to show photos in addressing the problem areas as I took 40 photos and am showing 10 due to length and space. So here is the first issue.

This photo shows the center line and the bridge 25 1/2 scale line. The circles will be drilled out for the bridge and the line above shows the pickguard area that will removed.

and the next picture shows the routing on the pickup pocket that will have to be removed

Here is the pocket after routing. I used a carbide bit for this.

This picture shows the dept marked on the drills before I start drilling

And the drilling proceeds!

The pickguard has been shaped and filed and the bridge plate now is mounted.

We are now ready to mount the tailpiece. A red string is used in the photo for the final alignment. This is critical as the string alignment to everything happens here. Again no room for error and once the holes are drilled, it is a done deal.

An hour and fifteen minute settup and we are ready for the big test. I had to put a .015 brass shim in the base of the neck pocket to get the bridge height and low action that I like. The intonation is dead on, all alignments are perfect and the pickup pole alignment on the bridge pickup is better than original. I have adjusted the pickup heights today and have about 2 hours of play time and she is sweet. It is on the heavy end but was before I started. I could not believe how heavy ash can be. This was a perfect project guitar as it is like new but a pretty standard Bluesboy in general. I bought it very right and it needed a boost in character. It will be one of my keepers and also will be gigged. This is not a project for everyone, maybe I am lucky to have a playable guitar and it was an intense project and tested patience. It is now easy to look back. I anyone is ever interested in doing something crazy like this I will share any information that I have. Any serious questions on this can be addressed by PM. I could not fail as I had to show Ginny some kind of results!!!! :rolleyes: :greet: -- Darwin

Final pic showing the alignment of everything.

Last edited by darwinohm on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Bluesboy Bigsby Conversion- Details-Long

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:17 pm

A master at work.

Again, very nice job.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:22 pm

Sweet. I like them Bigsby's. I like the job you did.

I put a Bigsby behind a Saddle Lock bridge on a Tribute ASAT Special. I like the sound & playability, but it does not fit correctly.

eddg

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:14 pm

guitar_ed wrote:Sweet. I like them Bigsby's. I like the job you did.

I put a Bigsby behind a Saddle Lock bridge on a Tribute ASAT Special. I like the sound & playability, but it does not fit correctly.

eddg

Do you have to tie strings together? Lol, Just kidding around.

Darwin,

I think you might deserve an extra cold one. Thanks so much for posting all the detail. I have not played them much, but I love how the bigsby's look. Especially on t style and big archtop guitars. The f is a nice touch....

Cheers, jeremy

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Ed, thanks for your comments. Does your Bigsby return to tune perfectly with the saddle lock. I am curious especially if you raise the handle(pitch). I had wondered about a saddle lock. I have a factory Asat Z3 and it does not return to perfect tune if lifted. I even tried a Schaller roller bridge and it improved but still was not perfect. I am going to put the type of bridge that I used on this conversion on the Z3 at some point. I just need to have a couple of sleeves machined.

Jeremy, thanks for your comments. Are you referring to stringing a Bigsby? They are a pain until you do the proper bend in the string and it becomes simple. I would much rather string a Bigsby than a G&L without locking tuners. A Bigsby is quite fun to play. I like the control as I never dive a bunch as I am a surfer from the 60s. There are many guys who do not like them, but here is the bottom line. If the same guy were to gig a Bigsby, then a DF or a Fender two point or a Vintage Fender vibrato, the Bigsby will reel the ladies in every time! That is still my story :evilgrin: Darwin.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:14 am

Darwin,

My string comment was specifically directed at the Bigsby behind the saddle lock setup Ed described. And it really doesn't make much sense either way, because the saddle lock isn't that much thicker than the ashtray...

Surf on....

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:46 pm

I'm about to do the same thing to my Tribute ASAT Classic. After reading your post, I'm a bit nervous. Guess I won't know what to expect until I get all the pieces. I got the standard Bigsby B5 Deluxe kit (with the trem, bridge & plate).

Why did you have to route the body?

Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:55 pm

does the bigsby hang off the edge of the guitar a bit, or is that just the camera angle?

Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:45 pm

It is the camera angle. It was near the bottom but looked right. -- Darwin

Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:24 pm

Another fine piece of work Darwin! Looks great. as stated above, you deserve another brewsky!

:happy0065: :cheers:
- Jos

Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:45 pm

Nicely done, Darwin.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:59 am

thanks to some of your tips, I successfully installed one too. I may raise the bridge pickup, but i think it sounds and looks fantastic!

[image]http://www.jeremywhitten.com/assets/images/GL_BIGSBY.PNG[/image]

don't think i'd try this with an expensive guitar, but it was a fun project. took about 3 hours.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:10 am

Looks super Jeremy, one of my favorite colors.--Darwin