Project Alert! ASAT HG-1 (huh?) with pics

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:30 pm

Just completed a mod to my 2010 model ASAT Special (custom made). I had this early G&L humbucker with dual adjustable poles. This humbucker only appeared in one model G&L, the HG-2; which was based on the early model SC 1,2,3 platform. Some regarded this pickup as very bright. I can only tell you that I do think it has a wider range of tone possibilities than the MFD's of the same era. I once had this mated up to an early model ASAT Special with excellent results. I wanted to try it in a modern era G&L. The results, the same pleasing balance in tone circuit and volume as before. I liked the setup so much I made a black winkle aluminum guard for it.

For the record: Many have read the wonderful specs available on GG Jaguar's site for G&L's. One correction I'd like to make based on this pickup alone.
The correction: The pickups in the early 1980's model HG-2's, same as the one shown (neck), ARE NOT THE SAME SIZE! See pics for the evidence. Maybe at one time there was a humbucker dual pole MFD? I'd be ok with being corrected. This notion has always bothered me, I lay the proof you to judge. ;-)

Either way, I'd like to see this G&L humbucker design make a comeback. I'd like it to be the same size as the MFD's, if only the cover, so as to preserve the original design but make it longer to be a direct drop in replacement for cosmetics. What say you? I named this the ASAT HG-1 because of it's origin, but another name would be more apt. Maybe as ASAT Special HB?

Thumbs

Re: Project Alert! ASAT HG-1 (huh?) with pics

Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:34 pm

Hey Thumbs,

Great looking guitar! And I trust it sounds at least at good as it looks. Now on this size thing. May I misunderstand you, but Greg explicitly states in his description of the HG-2 that the humbuckers " ... are small humbuckers that are similar, but not identical, in size to the SC-2/Broadcaster/ASAT single coil pickups". Also, when you compare the MFD humbucker in a model like the F-100 you'll notice that the width between the pole pieces is slightly smaller on the HG-2 bucker . So to me, it does not come entirely as a surprise that they are different. Or are you claiming that the size of pups used on the HG-2 underwent a change in size over time?

- Jos

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:09 pm

Not claiming anything other than questioning the info and hoping for more info if any one here has any more info on this Leo creation.

Thumbs

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:30 pm

THat sure is an interesting guitar. I'd love to hear that MFD humbucker in action.

Nice job on the pick guard!

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:53 pm

Neat guitar thumbs, like the guard. No info from me though.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:39 pm

Nice work, as always... Love the blond too.

Cheers,

Will

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Thumbs wrote:For the record: Many have read the wonderful specs available on GG Jaguar's site for G&L's. One correction I'd like to make based on this pickup alone.
The correction: The pickups in the early 1980's model HG-2's, same as the one shown (neck), ARE NOT THE SAME SIZE! See pics for the evidence. Maybe at one time there was a humbucker dual pole MFD? I'd be ok with being corrected. This notion has always bothered me, I lay the proof you to judge. ;-)

Hmm, here is what Greg has on his site:

The HG series was introduced in 1983 as part of G&L's economy model line along with the SC series. The HG and SC guitars shared the same bodies, necks, and hardware -- only the pickups differed. The HG-1 (single pickup) and HG-2 (dual pickup) were short-lived and only listed on the 1983 and 1984 price lists. In fact, only a few (if any) HG-1s were ever produced. The HG-2 is a relatively rare model and was offered as a hardtail or with a vibrato tailpiece. The Magnetic Field Design humbucking pickups are unique to this model. Like the Cavalier's pickups, the HG-2 units are small humbuckers that are similar, but not identical, in size to the SC-2/Broadcaster/ASAT single coil pickups. And like the Cavalier, these humbuckers do not have a traditional Gibson PAF-type voice. Instead, they have a distinct Leo Fender flavor, i.e. - bright and powerful.

He does not say they are the same size: are similar, but not identical, in size to the SC-2/Broadcaster/ASAT single coil pickups. Am I misunderstanding your comment? :confused0007:

Some questions about this pickup: Have you tried it in the bridge position? If so, what did it sound like? Is the pickup wired for coil splitting? Have you shown Steve your modded ASAT? I'm sure he would be interested in hearing it.

Cool project - thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:54 pm

He does not say they are the same size: are similar, but not identical, in size to the SC-2/Broadcaster/ASAT single coil pickups. Am I misunderstanding your comment? :confused0007:

This project reflects the actual difference. I was also wondering if similar was "close enough" or "looks the same" or exactly what is the difference. No slur on GG's fine site. On the contrary, I would be happy to share pics to quantify the difference in size. I also wondered if a longer version ever existed; maybe one of the members might have this obscure info.

Some questions about this pickup: Have you tried it in the bridge position? If so, what did it sound like? Is the pickup wired for coil splitting? Have you shown Steve your modded ASAT? I'm sure he would be interested in hearing it.

I only had a neck HG-2 pickup. I was going to try a Cav bridge pup, but it is made to sit at a slightly diff angle then the MFD's. I sent Steve pics as well.
The pickup is a 2 wire MFD like. That alone made the install a no-brainer and maybe why it sounds balanced and punchy, yet low and smokey with the treble turned down. I like it! I may also try a SD Antiquity II mini-humbucker; it is the same width, I'll hang it from the custom aluminum pg I made for it. A future project I'll post in the near future.

Cool project - thanks for sharing :thumbup:[/quote]

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:24 am

Thumbs wrote:He does not say they are the same size: are similar, but not identical, in size to the SC-2/Broadcaster/ASAT single coil pickups. Am I misunderstanding your comment? :confused0007:

This project reflects the actual difference. I was also wondering if similar was "close enough" or "looks the same" or exactly what is the difference. No slur on GG's fine site. On the contrary, I would be happy to share pics to quantify the difference in size. I also wondered if a longer version ever existed; maybe one of the members might have this obscure info.

I only had a neck HG-2 pickup. I was going to try a Cav bridge pup, but it is made to sit at a slightly diff angle then the MFD's. I sent Steve pics as well.
The pickup is a 2 wire MFD like. That alone made the install a no-brainer and maybe why it sounds balanced and punchy, yet low and smokey with the treble turned down. I like it! I may also try a SD Antiquity II mini-humbucker; it is the same width, I'll hang it from the custom aluminum pg I made for it. A future project I'll post in the near future.

Cool project - thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Thumbs, We are considering the HG/Cav pups for the SC bodied Guitars by Leo Limited Edition II guitar. Any chance you can give us a sound report video?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:30 am

I don't have the time or skills to post a sound video. I stand by my description. Tone is so subjective. I love it!

G&L won't likely re-engineer the HG or CAV pickups, IMO. They should, but likely too much cost. As to your proposed body; the SC-2. I think the MFD pickups benefit from the aluminum pickguard on my ASAT HG-1.

Good luck with your project. I'm a fan of the SC-2, heck it was mine that was used to re-engineer the current model. But I won't buy another one, I sold all mine. I found the body too small for me. I'm 6' 1". I'd buy a G-200 body inspired updated model with a standard neck length, but with the old larger headstock shape. Update the electronics, to pull pots maybe, rear mounted of course. Or use as a new body platform for many pickups to be offered, ie; F-100, MFD's, SD Humbuckers, EMG.

They already have most if not all of the G-200 engineered to cut the bodies. I've seen them; even a hollow version! How about the larger SC-200 body (just like an SC body shape), as found in George's drawings? It's a SC-2 shape, but larger like an ASAT. I'd buy that model as well. I'd like to see the project be a special run, but when done, it helps G&L explore new body options for the market. To me that would make the new Gbl LE a very special guitar. Leo and George would be smiling at the idea, IMO.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Thumbs wrote:They already have most if not all of the G-200 engineered to cut the bodies. I've seen them; even a hollow version!

:shock: :shocked003:

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:57 am

Ledergeist wrote:
Thumbs wrote:They already have most if not all of the G-200 engineered to cut the bodies. I've seen them; even a hollow version!

:shock: :shocked003:

I don't know what this means, what the time to delivery is I will check through my dealer channels to get some hard data before we all geT our hopes up. -Patrick

UPDATE: According to contacts within the company, this project was shelved by the company with no timeframe for revisiting it. Too many projects of higher priority are well ahead of it. If fitted with a 25.5" scale, it is seen as a having too much overlap with the existing product line.