"D" Thing

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:58 am

I have just replaced my original Sperzal tuners with Sperzel locking tuners with a drop D "D thing".

But it's not work how I think they should work.

My problem is I can not get the unit to go down to D. If I remove the adjusting screws so it has maximum movement it will drop from “E” to “D” +20cents (Or there about). There were very little instructions, just wondering where I should start?

Re: "D" Thing

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:42 am

I have never used one but was under the impress you tune it to D with it open then adjust it until it hits A. Might make a difference.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:53 am

Interesting dilemma...pictures might help bring something to light, with the screw out it seems like it should have more than +/- 200 cents ,

Is your E string well intonated? I could see if it was out a bit that transposing via the d-tuner might create a sharp D.

A well-tuned low D sounds so good...I hope you/we can figure this out soon,

Elwood

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Sorry, forgot to add the photo's. I hope these help to solve the problem

Back of the headstock with the new tuners (Aren't they just beutiful)

In the "E" position

This is in the "D" position

As you can see the screws are all the way out (I did even try taking them out all together but it still made no difference). I also found if I push on the drop D a little it would get down to the D, but as soon as I let go it goes sharp

The bridge. It seems to be very close in the intonation.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi Stagecoach,

First off, I have no experience whatsoever with the drop D tuners at all. But have you contemplated that you might actually turn the screws the other way to make it work properly? Although I believe you did it correctly, you sometimes never know. The second suggestion would most likely require a new low-E string. Try to put as much pull on the string as you can so there is as little of a wrap around the post as possible. Before you clip off the end of the string beyond the post, stretch the E-string as much as possible and pull it back some more.

Otherwise, not having access to the contraption myself, I am out of ideas.

- Jos

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks for your help,

The drop D came already installed on the tuner mechanism. I just had to take the old tuner off and fit the new one (With the backing plate). If you are talking about the adjusting screws, when they are in the travel is less. When I first installed it was "D" +45cents.

And they are a brand new set of SIT 9 - 46's. The strings were overdue for a change, but I knew these were not too far away.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:30 pm

Nice pics..the tuners look great, like they belonged there from the beginning.

I'm out of ideas, short of dremelling off anything that might be limiting the throw.
Sometime manufacturers don't get it right :( , I would expect to have it designed to have too much travel to cover situations like this.
Did you buy the D-tuner new?
Its hard to see ...does the sperzel attach to the d-tuner or is it all one piece(made by sperzel) ?

I'm only familiar with the hipshot all in one style .

Elwood

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:53 pm

This is really simple: CALL Sperzel!!!

Great folks, very helpful when I had a minor problem a couple of years ago. I'm sure they can fix you right up.

Bill

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:57 pm

My last D tuner was a Hipshot and I could get that down to a C without much problems. I would have used a hipshot but since they were standard with Sperzel, I got the equivalent.

These are brand new. I purchased them on a special order from Elderly music as a set of 6 in-line locking tuners with a Drop D.

Item description from order
*ITEM # GTM6CD Description: SPERZEL TRIM-LOK 6 IN-LINE TUNING MACHINES (W/D-TUNER) - SATIN BRUSHED CHROME - Satin chrome, 6 in line, trim-lok locking guitar machines, new drop tuning low E string, finger pressure string lock hold string tight with no string slippage!!!

The attachment is part of the tuner. The black bit on the bottom of the other tuners move, the drop D has an extended shaft which has the Drop D attached to.

In between the 2 fine tuning screws is a little leaver. You disengage this leaver and tune up to an E (If you don't it wont allow too much movement). once you have it tuned you re engage the leaver to lock the mech into place (Pulled hard up to one side). You then move the mech the other way and you should have D.

I have sent Sperzel an email as well. I was surprised at the fact that there is very little instructions in the packaging.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:56 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:This is really simple: CALL Sperzel!!!

Great folks, very helpful when I had a minor problem a couple of years ago. I'm sure they can fix you right up.

Bill

This, Bob Sperzel has called my friend back on the weekend to talk with him. Great company.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:47 am

They sent me an email saying I needed to call them and speak to Roger. I finally stayed up late enough to call them and he is sending out a shim to fix the problem. They seem to be very nice people, just hope it works.

Once installed I will update the verdict

Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:36 am

Great pics of the drop D. I will bet the shim will go under the tuner between the tuner and baseplate. This will fix you up.-- Darwin.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:15 am

It arrived last week while I was away and was able to install it tonight. It now works a treat.

Darwin - you were right (I suspected as much as well).

The shim is similar to the plate which the end stops hits, but is smaller so the end stops go past to the original plate. It now has a little more play which is good (probably D -40cents). As I said before it was close to being D (If you put a little pressure on the neck it would get there), but now it works perfect.

And yes, Sperzel seem to be a great company to deal with