UPDATED ASAT "Super Jerry"

Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:38 pm

Howdy campers! Finally completed a project that's been a long time coming. This was going to be a father /son project but since neither of can wield a solder gun to save our life, he's off at college and my J-O-B keeps getting in the way of my having fun. So, I got help from my local hot rod tech friend to put this piece of magic together.

Why ASAT Super Jerry you ask? I took an ASAT Tribby Irish Ale body, Tribute Legacy neck (prefer the 12" vs 9.5" radius) and added a G&L CLF 100 Alnico V neck pickup (thought it was a Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue when originally posted) and an overwound ASAT pup (like on ASAT Super) then added a 4-way Grigsby switch with Orange drop capacitor and a pearloid guard from a “parts” drawer. Threw on a set of GHS nickel rocker 10's and this little sucker is a pickin' machine! :alright:

Irish Ale color doesn't show up as well as it should and the CLF pup looks larger than it is
Last edited by sam on Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: ASAT "Super Jerry"

Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:39 am

Nice project, sam, and a beautiful result!

- Jos

Re: ASAT "Super Jerry"

Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:01 pm

Seems like a cool idea. Tell me more about the Jerry Donahue neck pickup. I can't find it anywhere on the Duncan website...

Re: UPDATED ASAT "Super Jerry"

Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:25 pm

Thanks guys!!!

I had to update this as I realized I put a CLF 100 neck pup in not a Duncan Jerry Donahue. :shocked028:

Can still say it has a Jerry vibe with the sound of bends. Overall spank of ASAT Super and the G&L pup is a really great mix. Recommend to anyone who likes that tone. :thumbup: Traveling this week so will not have a time report until weekend.

Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:12 pm

sam wrote:Thanks guys!!!

I had to update this as I realized I put a CLF 100 neck pup in not a Duncan Jerry Donahue. :shocked028:

Can still say it has a Jerry vibe with the sound of bends. Overall spank of ASAT Super and the G&L pup is a really great mix. Recommend to anyone who likes that tone. :thumbup: Traveling this week so will not have a time report until weekend.

Looks great, Sam. :thumbup:

Can you tell us what each of the four pickup settings are? If you got some time to demo each setting that would be great too!

Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:56 pm

Hey Craig,

Thanks much. Haven’t had too much playing time this week due to travel but can give a little update.

Great mix of pups here, lots o’ options. :clap: Only played through through a Boogie LoneStar Special but going for jangle, rock and jazz. The jangle and old school rock were mine and my son did some of his jazz runs. Right now I’m digging the pups in series and the neck pick up. My son is loves the neck pick up alone. I am enjoying the neck pup more than I thought. These CLF’s have a certain ring to them that seems to go well with a HOG body. The ASAT Super pup that I was really looking forward to is a good match with the CLF IMHO. These were all straight to amp, next step through pedal board, and will try 6L6 vs the EL-84’s :alright: More detail with next post.

Image Image

Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:34 am

I like that Irish Ale body with your maple fretboard, pairing that with a rosewood board (as G&L likes to) makes a visually dark guitar.

Nice project!

The saddle length adjustments look strange, did she intonate properly?

If they don't make what you want, make your own!

Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:27 pm

Thanks Rodney!

The maple neck was chosen for similar reasons. I also thought the rosewood was a little darker than I wanted and just had an intuition about maple neck with this set up.

Setup was by a friend who I trust judgement. It’s setup pretty hot, lotsa spank, and I liked it out the gate. Very similar to my Will Ray model. Although I did tweak it a bit since the picture, only saddle height. Even happier with it now. :thumbup: