I made a custom tremolo backplate cover for my Comanche

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:17 am

The plain white cover on the back my my Comanche is not the prettiest part of the guitar. I wouldn't probably have thought twice about it, but it's actually cut pretty poorly, with fuzzy edges and irregular rounded corners. Another weird thing is the screw holes are not symmetric, nor is the cover placed evenly over the cavity. It seems like someone did it by hand... In a hurry, too. I wonder why a machine didn't cut all this stuff?

Since I have a laser cutter and a stack of various weird materials, making a nicer looking cover is right in my wheelhouse. This design features material from the vibrato patent, including a diagram of what is behind the plate. I also put on the model name, number, and I added some text with the model info. My original inspection sticker is also stuck inside.

This part is somewhat thinner than the original, which I also like, and the screw heads are properly countersunk.

I did keep the original irregularly-spaced screw holes, no need to poke MORE holes in the back of the guitar. I'll just have to live with it being off-center.

No one will ever see it and it doesn't matter, but I like my black cover a lot better than factory white!

Re: I made a custom tremolo backplate cover for my Comanche

Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:58 am

Nice work!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:07 am

Very clever!

Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:48 am

Most Cool.

Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:17 pm

Excellent Smithers!! :happy0065: