ASAT Z & Angled HB

Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:55 pm

I wanted to share a couple of projects I've been working on over the past few months. I started winding pickups early last year and over the holidays I was gifted a laser cutter. This of course has led me down the path of creating custom flatwork for pickups.

I've always wanted humbucking options for my SC-2 so I came up the following two solutions. These are still in quasi prototype form but they are very close to what I'm looking for in the way they sound but I will keep tweaking.

Neck pickup is a Z Coil in an ASAT special size. Constructed as an MFD with Ceramic 5 magnets and baseplate. Roughly 5k ohms and 3 Henries of inductance.

Bridge pickup is an angled HB also constructed as an MFD with 7.3 resistance and 3 Henries. The number of winds on this pickup is much different than the Cavalier pickups and is actually closer to an F100 pickup with just slightly more midrange on tap. Also, the offset is less than the Cavalier and just enough to align over the strings.

I also used fillister head screws instead of hex heads in order to attach the forbon covers to the top of the bobbins. Eventually I will probably create custom covers using either a 3d printer or vacuum forming mold. For now they are just forbon....