modding ASATs

Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:48 pm

Hi,

I’m pleased to be a new member of this Forum, having only recently ‘discovered’ G&L.
Honestly, imo..G&L seems to still be..that sort of hidden gem, although it shouldn’t... as it is clearly above par on everything i have heard online, so far.

At present, my main objective is finding a great clean tone..namely for recording purposes.
(I’ll probably use a Fender Deluxe amp, but for the time being i am using toneBridge and BiasFX stuff, from my iPad & DAW. )

Naturally, i would’ve got a Legacy or S-500 already..if it wasn’t for my partial disliking of its shape, its bridge PUp..and above all _ floating bridges. (although, aesthetically speaking..i do really like that natural Ash w/ black pickguard Legacy.))
So yes..,
i’ve been conceptualizing my ideal 3 PickUp Single Coil guitar, but i am after a T-style, or an offset, with a Tele Style fixed bridge, and a Tele traditional PUp.
Within that realm, i am undecided on the following approaches :

a) Strat neck PUp or Tele neck Pup ?
conventional Nashville approach, much like the Asat Classic S...or a Nashville but with a S500 neck PUp.

or

b) Going Noiseless with

an Asat Z3-like approach, with Mid&Neck Z-coil PUps & conventional noiseless Bridge single coil..say....a JBE Modern T , for eg.
(one could look at it from an Asat Bluesboy with Z coils on the Mid & neck, instead)

Has anyone tried/played any of these configurations?
What would be the configuration that would give me the closest Tone to an Alnico/Legacy/Strat namely positions 2 to 5 ?
(And bridge Tele position 1, evidently)

2. Issue number two concerns the G&L’s PTB system.
Having gone through a lot of the threads available on the forum, here..i have encountered one, from AsatNoah (from 2013! though..),that mentions how to basically..get a PTB circuit on an Asat. (“i just made my Asat more versatile”)
Are schematics for such an approach visually available anywhere ?
Can i get you guys to further develop on that thread/comment ?
In truth, i am a noob to Modding & wiring.. but i’ve got a really good ear..so TONE&timbre are really decisive, for me.

How noiseless would i need to go, PUp-wise..? it should be fairly quiet on the Clean channel, right ?

(link for a mock-up of what i’m projecting)
https://we.tl/t-Z5pXce4sxJ

Any feedback on this?

thanks very much
cheers

PS: Both the Asat Special and the Doheny are on the list for next acquisitions.
Are any of those routed for a middle pick Up, i wonder ?