New Tribby Neck New Guitar

Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Howdy campers!

After Jason66 reminded me of the beloved G&L online store I found a replacement neck for my Tribute P90 ASAT. This is a guitar I picked up on fleabay a while back, and when it arrived I dug the P90 tone but never really cared for the 9.5 neck. So I ordered a 12 Legacy Tribute neck which arrived Saturday morning packed perfectly. (thanks G&L :) ) Some pics below for comparison.

As you can see I went from rosewood to maple, another personal preference, clean as a whistle. It looks darker due to lighting, but that is truer to color. Upon installing I saw it was not quite as flush on the sides as the original but all careful measurements and level are good. Sounds great through both a Fender DRRI and Boogie Lonestar Special. :thumbup: Have some thoughts of shims on the sides to tighten it up, but it works fine and not a priority now.

NOTICE A LITTLE GRATEFUL DEAD AND PHISH STICKER UPGRADE 8-)
Image Image
Image Image

BUTT END IS FINE AND STRINGS DO LINE UP BETTER THAN IT LOOKS, THIS PICTURE WAS JUST AT ANGLE

This will get a LOT more playing time now, thanks again G&L online store! :elguitar054:

Re: New Tribby Neck New Guitar

Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:43 pm

I like the look of the maple with that color. Congratulations. Too bad about the gaps but if it sounds good and gets played more that's all that really matters.

Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:59 am

I haven't been in the market for a guitar for a long time and never heard of an ASAT P-90. Other than the body wood and the bridge I guess this is pretty close to an ASAT JR.
I've always wondered why the ASAT Jr is only currently available as an import.

Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:32 am

suave eddie wrote:I haven't been in the market for a guitar for a long time and never heard of an ASAT P-90. Other than the body wood and the bridge I guess this is pretty close to an ASAT JR.
I've always wondered why the ASAT Jr is only currently available as an import.

Here are the original specs on Sam's Tribute ASAT Deluxe 'Carved Top' P-90 Limited Edition (exclusive to MF/GC):

ASAT Deluxe ‘Carved Top’ P-90 (Musician's Friend/Guitar Center calls it "G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top P-90 Electric Guitar Orange Cream")
Finish: Butterscotch Blonde, rosewood fingerboard
Body wood: Alder with top binding
Neck wood: Hard Rock Maple with tinted gloss finish
Neck dimensions: 1 5⁄8” width at nut, 12” radius
Neck shape: Modern Slim C
Pickups:
· Neck: G&L AP4285CR P-90 single coil with creme cover
· Bridge: G&L AP42105CR P-90 single coil with creme cover
Controls: 3-way toggle pickup selector, volume, tone (with push/pull for tone expansion*)
(*) What this switch is doing is placing a .0022uf capacitor across the pickups,
which lowers the resonant frequency of the pickups by approximately 2KHz.
Think of the “Wah Pedal pulled back ½ way” sound. Or the “Woman” tone
if the woman wasn’t tipping the scales at 200 pounds.
Bridge: G&L Saddle-Lock™

Here are the specs for the Tribute ASAT Jr. II:
ASAT Junior II
Finish Trans Red, 3-ply black pickguard, tinted gloss neck and Brazilian Cherry fingerboard, black painted headstock
Body wood Mahogany
Neck wood Hard Rock Maple
Neck dimensions 1 5⁄8” width at nut, 12” radius
Pickups
· Neck: G&L AP4285B P-90 single coil
· Bridge: G&L AP42105B P-90 single coil
Controls 3-position pickup selector, volume, tone
Bridge Tone-Pros locking C-TPFP bridge and CT1 tailpiece

Here are the specs for the Custom Creations ASAT Junior:
BODY WOOD:
Chambered Mahogany
BODY FINISH:
Translucent Cherry
NECK WOOD:
Mahogany; Ebony fingerboard
NECK FINISH:
Translucent Cherry
NECK WIDTH:
1 5/8” Width at Nut
NECK RADIUS:
12”
FRETWIRE:
Medium Jumbo 6100
TUNERS:
Chrome Schaller
NECK PICKUP:
Custom ASAT Special with Black covers
PICKGUARD:
3-ply black LP style
BRIDGE PICKUP:
Custom ASAT Special with Black covers
CASE:
Tolex hardshell
BRIDGE:
Stop Bar Tailpiece
CONTROLS:
Rear mounted; 3-way LP style selector, volume, tone; Black LP style knobs

Reference: ASAT_Junior

Hope this helps.

Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:41 pm

Mutts - thanks, I’m with you on the maple neck

suave eddie - the P90’s are different from the ASAT Jr. This version also has a carved back and other specs in Craig’s reply. Don’t see many on fleabay anymore as well. May have to check spec sheet on the Tribby Ascari model to see if these are the same pickups.

Craig - thanks for the spec sheets. The original neck feels thicker than the replacement neck, wonder why? :shocked028:

Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:04 am

· Neck: G&L AP4285B P-90 single coil

I wonder if this is different from the Tribute Fallout neck P-90, because I really love the sound of that one.

Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:00 pm

Kit wrote:· Neck: G&L AP4285B P-90 single coil

I wonder if this is different from the Tribute Fallout neck P-90, because I really love the sound of that one.

Yes, it is the same pickup, see: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.