It has BEGUN! (my crazy ASAT CAVALIER update)

Tue May 26, 2020 3:53 pm

My goal this year is to finally get my G&L custom shop ASAT HH RMC with white-covered cavalier pickups.

I have FINALLY made my first meaningful step towards this with getting old cavalier pups 3d scanned and printed in white.

These are resin, so they're very matte and do not reflect light at all basically. Not sure if I'm going to go with these or try to get plastic prints, which have their own associated problems. That said, I'm very happy with the result so far.

Pretty surreal to see it in the real world after it has been in my brain for a decade.

Next step is actually fixing the design flaws of the Cavalier pups. I'm trying to get pickups built that get the DCR/output ratio into a much more usable an musical place, while still looking indistinguishable from MFDs from the outside.

This has been a crazy learning experience so far. I'll keep everyone posted if you're interested!

For reference, here is a crude drawing of the eventual guitar.

Re: It has BEGUN! (my crazy ASAT CAVALIER update)

Tue May 26, 2020 9:24 pm

Yessir this is one I have been waiting for! :happy0065:

We want to see pics during the process for sure.

Glad to see your vision come to life. :thumbup:

Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:42 pm

That's great. I might even buy one if possible. Will G&L put someone else's pickups in one of their guitars or would you have them make the pup mods?

Tom

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:19 pm

FZTNT wrote:That's great. I might even buy one if possible. Will G&L put someone else's pickups in one of their guitars or would you have them make the pup mods?

Tom

They assured my dealer they'd do the project. Me doing all the legwork making the pickups is why they are agreeing in the first place. To them, they just have to route cavities in the shape of the cavalier routes. For me, it's months of getting prototype parts manufactured.

Also, I imagine it's the same as if someone wanted a Legacy HB but with Lollars or Fralins in them or something.

If you want one too, I'd imagine you'd also have to go custom shop. I'd be happy to share my 3d model of the cover for you to get printed on your own, but I'd prefer to wait until my custom build is done just to make sure they do it and there are no unforeseen snags.