Just Noodling or Making Tasty Sonic Bites?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:34 pm

I enjoy Nick Jaffe's You Tube channel JustNickMusic. A few days back he had a humorous video ranting about "oh, I just noodle..." To be honest, I use that phrase quite often. While I'm noodling, often I'll come up with a phrase, progression, or some melody that I find interesting - then I find myself playing this repeatedly for days or weeks making tweaks. Nick described this exact process I have been calling noodling and said you are not noodling you are composing! He went on to say how music is meant to be shared and that we should have the confidence and pride to share our sonic thoughts. It actually moved me to take that step. The short clip is an example of my latest "noodling" - it is just a fragment of song that I think I would like to actually finish.

Two of the guitar parts are on my Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe. The lead melody was done on a Tele that I made into a LP Jr / Esquire hybrid. The bass was my Tribute JB-2. I was plugged into my Vox Tonelab EX just using the amp simulations built in and the built in effects. The tonelab was connected directly to the laptop. I used Audacity to record.

In the future, I will probably just use the amp simulation on the multieffect unit, but run my pedal board into it for the effects.

Anyone else have some sonic bites they been working on?

Cheers, Dan

Re: Just Noodling or Making Tasty Sonic Bites?

Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Full lngth version. In some ways I think the setting on the sample worked better, but this is a learning process...

Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:07 pm

A new one I recorded this afternoon. A laid back chill tune... Some obvious mistakes... (damn this recording thing is hard). Love to hear what you are all working on. Cheers, Dan

Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:38 pm

Dan, nice bit of noodling. I quite enjoyed both pieces. I noticed that you use Audacity for recording, I encourage you to use more of the features of the tool like EQ, panning, and volume adjust of each individual track. Be your own record producer; these features can improve the sound of your music.

I first experimented with home recording almost 40 years ago and still does it once in a while. I used to use a different multitrack recorder but it died along with my old computer. Now I also use Audacity. I posted a tune here a while back and you were one of the people who listened and commented, and I thank you for that.

The following piece of music took a detour before it came to be the way it is now. I initially recorded this 'noodling' in 2006 and I had posted the tune here on this board at the time. I've always thought the piece was a little sparse but never had any idea how to change it. A few months ago I was recording some other stuff and spending hours on a keyboard that I bought about 18 months ago. Then it occurred to me to add a synth line on the top, and this now is the result:

Capri Redux https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PKU_6uI4ERPny_2fwcGZhy_2TTxdzSGG

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:26 am

Moody and atmospheric , good work, I liked both the tracks. Kit , I liked " Warm" the best out of your tracks. I had a free version of Cubebase that came with my THR that I was too impatient to learn how to use . I am going to have to investigate and find a user friendly DAW. Maybe I will try garageband again. Thanks for the post, makes me want to lay down some of own stuff.

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:24 am

Thanks Kit and glvourot.

Kit, I agree, I need to spend more time with audacity to learn the capabilities. Right now I'm just trying to get tracks that work together. I did adjust volume of the tracks a bit - I believe there is a way to vary the volume level on any given track rather than be static. I'll have to give the panning a go next round for sure. I really enjoyed Curvature.

glvourout, look forward to hearing what you lay down.

Cheers, Dan

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:47 am

A new one today. Played around with panning. Still think Day at the Beach is most interesting track. Need to go back and remix both Day at the Beach and Lupulin Dust.

Cheers, Dan

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:46 am

A little pop track I laid down this morning.

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:11 am

Another new one. Was having a tough time with the pickup line, getting the timing right. Had others thing I needed to get done, so I called it a day...

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:50 pm

My first attempt at adding in percussion. Main rhythm guitar track is Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe, Tribute JB-2 bass, and lead parts on ASAT Z-2.

Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:18 pm

New one from this morning. This one started out as the bass line then built upon that. Been having fun.

BTW, I do like snow days!

Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:41 pm

New track today. Some 12 string on this one. Borrowing an Ovation 12 string acoustic from a friend. Also my Guild AO5CE on this track. No the new Jazzmaster is not used.

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:52 pm

New one from this afternoon. The rhythm part is my new Jazzmaster. Majority of the chord are just and open G shape moved around the fingerboard with various othe layers overdubbed...

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:52 pm

Woo have to give this one a listen when I can - how are you liking the JM overall?

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:24 am

Overall I am quite happy with the Jazzmaster. I was surprised how light it was given how big they are, just about 8 lbs, maybe a few ounces over (the scale I was using was an old kitchen scale and I couldn't get a direct view). The neck is similar to a vintage modified 9.5" radius, medium jumbo frets except the truss rod adjustment is at the nut which I prefer anyways. I'd say the neck is pretty comfortable. The Pau Ferro fingerboard is a bit orangey... It feels good, but a little stain to darken it would have been nice. The pickup are the pure vintage '65 (they do have the slug pieces). Bridge PU has plenty of jangle but at the same time smooth. Neck PU is smooth, mellow, and pleasant. I think this is just the character ot low output pickups. Certainly the lowest output in my stable of guitars.

Hope the image shows... Can't get my photobucket to work....

As for the four way switch. I didn't notice much difference in series, a slight bump in output/volume but I don't know the tone change was much different from parallel. This is my first vibrato equipped guitar. The action is nice and smooth. I haven't noticed any significant tuning issues. It may be off just a hint after use. G string being the one that most frequently is just a touch off. Overall I am happy with the purchase. Glad I pulled the trigger.

Also, was very happy with Chicago Music Exchange. It comes with their "34 point inspection" which includes setting the action. This was the first import guitar I bought required no set-up adjustment from me. No fret buzz, reasonable string height, intonation was good... like said no adjustments required. I would definitely go back to CME when/if I am in the market again.

Cheers, Dan

Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:58 pm

Last one for 2019. Something crunchy. JM taking the lead parts.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:28 am

First new one for 2020. Couple acoustics, couple electrics, bass, and drum machine...

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:26 pm

New one recorded this morning, all instruments G&L. ASAT Classic S, ASAT Special, LE-2, and JB-2.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:12 am

Didn't necessarily set out to record today. Just wanted to work on some ideas and ended up scrapping what I initially set out to develop and came up with this on the spur of the moment. A short chill piece... The Z-2 was used on this recording, along with some other non G&L instruments.

Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:26 pm

Been catching some Nick Jaffe's live streams and made me want to drop some notes... Actually this one reminds me of a bad version of the Clash's "One More Time."

LE-2, JB-2, and Jazzmaster on this track.

Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:16 pm

Sounds quite Jazzmaster :D (My guess is the LE2 did rhythm?)

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:02 am

Yep, LE-2 was the rhythm part.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:41 pm

Something t o do while sheltering at home. ASAT Special Deluxe on the rhythm part, Washburn Idol WI-45 modifed with Bare Knucke True Grit PU as well as my modified Tele that has just a Fralin P-92 in the bridge doing the lead lines, and JB-2 (it's my only bass).

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:05 am

Decided to try doing another reggae song. Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe on rhythm, ASAT Classic S on one lead part and Washburn Idol WI-45 on the other lead part. JB-2 laying the bass.

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:35 pm

Dan, I really enjoyed Make It Through. You are getting more and more sophisticated with the mixing and production of your recording. It's great to pop into this thread and find new music to sample.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:34 am

Thank you Kit!

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:48 am

I like " Perspective ". The opening bars really reminded me of the tone from the opening of BOC's Dayvan Cowboy. Similar tone with your guitar.
phpBB [video]

Good job, you seem to be getting the hang of this.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:54 am

Thanks Paul! I like the vibe and tone of Dayvan Cowboy. Thanks for sharing that!
Dan

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:12 pm

Want to try something with a random drum track that isn't necessarily on time, inspired by JustNickMusic pandemic guitar hangs. Drums being off time create tension. Soft-Loud post punk noise rock song. Lots of guitars - Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe, LE-2, Washburn WI-45, Jazzmaster, and JB-2 bass.

Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:58 am

Dan, I quite like the mood that Social Distance sets. The effect-laden guitars make it sound almost like synthesizers. I also found how you evolve the progression starting out with a 1-4-5 and moved to a more non-standard chord sequence interesting to listen to. Great job!

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:02 pm

love it, Dan. sets up tensions of where do we go from here, and where are we now?

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:50 am

Thank you Kit and John!

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:53 pm

Okay this one is pretty raw. I don't have a a proper vocal mic or system to record real vocals. If you only listen through the first 3/4d's you might say it is political. But I don't think so... in the last quarter there are other historical references... I think this is a polite call out...

It is not song I wanted to make but felt, I finally had too...

Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:46 am

Dan, you've recorded a biting commentary. When we elect people to run this country that won't speak the truth you know that our moral fibre is rent as a nation.

Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:08 pm

I always find it interesting when someone covers a song and really re-imagines the song. So, I have been wanting to try to re-imagine a song I like. Lou Reed's New York album really impacted we when it came out. To this day, I think it is one of his best work (I like Magic and Loss slightly better as it seems even more personal). So may of the songs are cutting and powerful, and initially wasn't sure which one I wanted to re-imagine. So in the end, I decided to tackle "There is No Time." I'll admit, I like Lou's version better, but here is my attempt to change this to a Brit Dream Pop song. Guitars and more guitars... G&L's making an appearance: SC-3, LE-2, ASAT Classic S, and JB-2. I need to find vocalist, can't stand mine...

Cheers, Dan