Cavalier owners: I need YOU for a huge favor!

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:27 pm

Hello everyone,
Some of you may know me as one of the guys constantly pestering G&L to reissue the Cavalier's angled offset HG-2Rs. My dream is to have a custom shop ASAT HH RMC with Cavalier pickups with white covers.

After the launch of the Skyhawk HH, I feel those dreams have most likely been dashed.

It is time to take matters into my own hands, BUT CAVALIER OWNERS, I NEED YOUR HELP!

My plan is to send a pair of Cavalier pickup covers,(the nicer the condition, the better), to a service that does 3D scanning and 3D printing to have dead-accurate reproductions of the pickup covers made.

I do not own a Cavalier and they're impossible to find. That's why I need a favor from you few proud owners.

All I need is someone who is willing to part with their covers for a few weeks, tops, as they go on vacation to the 3D print company to get photographed and reproduced.

I wouldn't need the pickups. Just the covers. There would be zero risk of the covers being damaged in any way, as they're only being photographed.

I've already gotten a quote and this process will be very expensive, but I've got that "covered" no pun intended.

In return, I can offer a small fee and/or have a new set of the covers sent to you in whichever color or style you want, or if you just want some fresh new spares.

I know that I'm an internet stranger, but I've been active on here for years and doggedly focused on this one goal.

Anyone out there willing to help me out?

If so, please respond.

Thanks for reading, and have a great day.

If i get this done, I'm going to have the G&L custom shop just wind me some new pickups to fit under the covers. So this won't see the return of the HG-2Rs themselves, but getting the covers repro'd is an exciting prospect.

Re: Cavalier owners: I need YOU for a huge favor!

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:08 pm

Have you contacted any of the G&L Custom Shop dealers? They may be able to help you.
Just a thought.

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:15 pm

Believe me. I've tried to appeal to G&L over and over via my dealer who is a custom shop dealer.

G&L will not help me. I think if I supply them with the covers pre-made, they'll be able to make the rest of the build in the custom shop, but getting the Cavalier covers made will be my responsibility.

*To Cavalier owners:

I would do anything in my power to make you feel safe and comfortable parting with your pickup covers for a short time. We could coordinate and you could send them straight to the scan/printing company and they can send it directly back to you so they never even come directly to me.

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:38 pm

neutralomen wrote:Believe me. I've tried to appeal to G&L over and over via my dealer who is a custom shop dealer.

G&L will not help me. I think if I supply them with the covers pre-made, they'll be able to make the rest of the build in the custom shop, but getting the Cavalier covers made will be my responsibility.

*To Cavalier owners:

I would do anything in my power to make you feel safe and comfortable parting with your pickup covers for a short time. We could coordinate and you could send them straight to the scan/printing company and they can send it directly back to you so they never even come directly to me.

Well, maybe Dave has some plans down the road on this:

Wouldn’t it be too convenient for me to come back and tell you this is the greatest thing ever. I’m not gonna BS you guys like that. But damn this thing is amazing.

Maybe these prototype pickups are different than those in the Cavalier. Maybe they just work better in a 3SC arrangement. Maybe when you see these 3 pickups, you approach it from a different perspective, you just ask it to do that Strat® (a registered trademark of my friends at FMIC you guys know that so just leave it alone in the comments ok) stuff and it has its own style on that job.

I don’t know, but in the first 30 seconds after I finished setting it up I discovered the most amazing chimey compressed jangle, so funky it hurts, and that was enough to blow my mind.

Now its the bridge pickup grinding the Marshall shockingly well. It’s crisp, defined, nice chunk, but it comes from a single coil place. It’s not humbucker lite, that’s for sure.

Anyway, everyone is gone now so I need to crank this the hell up. I don’t know if we’re going to make this or anything at all right now. I just know I put the thing together and - so far - I’m stunned. Yes we will get some clips.

Reference post: Revisit: A prototype in Leo’s lab, perhaps 1983....

You might not want to steal Dave M's thunder if he does have future plans on this or a CLF Research Cavalier. That MIGHT be why you are not getting any help from G&L on this. Disclaimer: I have not had any discussions with Dave M. on this, so I am just guessing about any possible CLF Research instrument with G&L Magnetic Field Design™ HG-2R "Angled-Offset" humbucking pickups. End Disclaimer.

"The waiting is the hardest part" ... but should it come about ... it will definitely be well worth it. :clap:

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:13 pm

oh I'm well aware of the prototype. Those aren't cavalier covers though. Those are ASAT covers with extra holes punched. They're longer on either side than the Cav covers.

And I don't believe I'd be stealing any thunder anyway. If G&L repro'd the pickup covers, they'd make new injection molds.

I'm getting a dead-accurate 3d scan and 3d print to get white covers. I will have the 3d model in perpetuity but I doubt G&L would want to mass produce the covers via 3d printing.

My dream guitar is a one-off. I've been trying to get it made for a decade and I'm finally trying to take matters into my own hands.

So far it appears no Cavalier owners will be my good samaritan but I'm holding out hope.

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:46 am

just bumping this thread.

I just received a soft verification that g&l has no immediate plans to reissue the cavalier.

I've been trying to make this vision a reality for ten years.

I'd really appreciate a good samaritan to give me a hand here.

as I've said, this would be totally painless and risk free for the donor. I need the covers of the cavalier pickups which are easily and non destructively removed. they will be photographed and recreated with 3d software by a professional service and promptly returned to the owner.

I know it is scary to part with such a rare plastic component but as I've also indicated I'd be happy to either pay you a small fee or have some duplicates made for you as I get mine made in white.

I hope someone out there who owns a cavalier will find it in their heart to help a guy out! thanks again everyone.