1st impressions '91 ASAT body project strung up

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:15 am

Got interested in G&L guitars after pulling my 2000 lefty S-500 out of storage and liking the clean tones. Wanted to hear the large MFDs of the Special and also wanted a trem (the S-500 is a special order lefty hardtail). Then a '91 body showed up on Ebay, never assembled, left-handed with the trem rout. What are the chances? It took time but found all the necessary parts on Reverb and Ebay and the G&L Facebook page. Ordered a neck from Musikraft. Wired it with a 4-way switch. Kluson style tuners are on and the nut is rough-cut. Plugged into my '62 Deluxe (also pulled out of storage) with a hint of delay. The result? Most beautiful clean tone ever. I love, love this tone. Only have neck and neck-bridge parallel now because I fooled with the 4 way wiring to get rid of hum and will fix that. Needs intonation, fine-tuning the nut, setting the trem, but it already kills. Will bring this to the studio tomorrow to put down the last tracks on my daughters record. Thought I had the ultimate tone with my Telecaster with Don Mare pickups but now this. This guitar is magic. What will it sound like through my blackface Twin? Or the '64 Super Reverb?

Re: 1st impressions '91 ASAT body project strung up

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:02 am

Haven't found anything that can beat the sweat tone of those jumbo MFDs! Sound like you built yourself a winner.

Cheers,
Dan

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:20 am

Time to put up a photo or two!

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:39 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

It's got a few hours on it now. With 11-50 strings, man this things cuts through.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:24 am

Looks pretty sweet. Well done.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:58 am

Nicely done! Man you got me wanting to do a build.
Cheers, Dan

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Cheers :cheers:

Very well done Jedi.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:57 am

Have to say the DF trem is the greatest. So touch sensitive, stays in tune, good sustain. Hard to use the vintage 6-screw Strat trem now. Love, love the large MFDs. Musikraft neck is fantastic. Didn't even need to level the frets and zero deflection with 11-49 strings. The Coney Island fretboard and figured maple it's set on (ordered regular flat sawn) are a great combo. I may order another for my 2000 S-500 that was never flat. It was a lot of work putting this thing together but just impossible to find a lefty ASAT Special with DF trem. The best of both worlds; ASAT tone, Legacy trem. Damn! A little 'verb, a little delay through a '62 Deluxe...