Midnight Blues Series

Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:15 am

Attached are some pictures of a new guitar model I'm working on geared towards blues and rock. All handmade and featuring P90 pickups.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah1 ... gd2ubd.jpg

Last edited by CSVeteran on Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Midnight Blues Series

Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:14 am

Nice looking guitar. Cool color. Is that made from Ash? I kinda like the squared off horns. What do you call it?

Tom

Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:09 pm

Tom - it is made out of Alder and called "Midnight Blues." It is available in turquoise blue (shown), dark blueburst, surf green, white and California coastline gold. I will also be making them from one piece Poplar, which is sonically bright sounding like Ash.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:48 pm

Attached is a music sample featuring the P90 middle position on rhythm guitar track and the neck and bridge position on lead guitar track.

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:44 pm

That looks and sounds really good CS. I dig the innovative design.

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:31 am

Unique design, looks and great sound quality and tone.
Nice work, CSVet! Nice playing as well.

Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:53 am

Thanks DR J and Tomas for the thumbs up! I guess it was time for something new 8-)

Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:55 am

It is cool looking and sounding. What might one of these cost? Could I order one with a specific wood, bridge and pickup combination?

Thanks,

Tom

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:06 am

CSVeteran wrote:Thanks DR J and Tomas for the thumbs up! I guess it was time for something new 8-)

You are welcome CS and you deserve the praise. Your guitars are consistently perfect looking and from the sound samples great sounding. And on top of that you are building flamenco guitars :thumbup:

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:34 am

FZTNT wrote:Could I order one with a specific wood, bridge and pickup combination?

Thanks,

Tom

I am doing a small run on this model in the original P90 and bridge configuration using tone woods I experimented with, which produce the best sound for this guitar. Specifically: Alder, Poplar and Sapele. Colors are Turquoise blue, Midnight blue, Surf green, White, Black or California Coastline gold.

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:32 pm

Hey CSVet,

As usual some mighty fine work ya got there! :thumbup: Been meaning to pipe in just a bit overwhelmed right now. Very cool look, and my first thought was Paul Gilbert needs one of these instead of his Ibanez. :evilgrin: Love the tone as well. Any thoughts of putting Dual Fulcrum on one?

Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:18 pm

Hey Sam - thanks and I like your idea of a Dual Fulcrum if G&L licensed it out of respect for the late Leo Fender, as there really is no better tremolo system out there!

Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:23 am

The latest version in TV Yellow featuring 22 fret rosewood neck and handwound P90 AlNiCo 5 pickups. Merry Xmas all and stay safe :D

Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:16 am

Oh boy CS. That TV yellow is real nice. I think I like it better than the blue. And of course the black covers on the P90's would make it a great match for somebody driving some yellow/black muscle car...

Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:00 pm

Tomas - I haven't made a TV yellow guitar in a long time and I think you are correct, because I prefer it over the blue and will have to make one for myself ;) Enjoy the holiday!

Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:07 pm

A music sample of the TV Yellow with handwound P90s.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:51 pm

Sounds magical too!!!

Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:46 am

There is a clarity in the guitar tone that sounds beautiful to my ears. Very nice workmanship!

CS, I take it you make the necks also?

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:51 pm

Nice work CS Vet, I'm with Tomas on the TV yellow, great color.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:41 pm

Kit wrote:There is a clarity in the guitar tone that sounds beautiful to my ears. Very nice workmanship!

CS, I take it you make the necks also?

Thanks Kit - I make necks from scratch, but also have a source for rough cut neck backs, which have to be shaped, the truss rod added, fingerboard glued in and fretted.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:55 am

CS, I found your webpage and was looking at photos of your guitars. What kind of tremolo bridge do you use in your builds if they are not G&L dual-fulcrum? And how are the tremolo bridges you are building with working out?

Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:36 pm

I like Wilkinson bridges, they are good quality and the trem blocks are solid steel.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:42 pm

The following music sample shows the dimension of these P90 pickups in the Midnight Blues guitar. A meatier and more defined tonal spectrum. For the percussion, I only had one large diaphragm condensor mic, so I split the figure 8 pattern and used a small condensor mic to fill in the center image, providing a nice wide stereo field.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:38 pm

Very nice sound, great phrasing and tone. A fine instrument, thanks for sharing.

Tom

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Thanks Tom :)