Pawn Shop Legacy Partscaster Restoration

Thu May 05, 2016 8:54 pm

I recently picked up a G&L USA Legacy Partscaster from a pawn shop for $100 (thread here: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13366)

The plan right now is to find a replacement USA neck, preferably Maple, for a reasonable price (hopefully around $200!). I'm scouring eBay at the moment in hopes that a good one will pop up.

I'll procure some good locking tuners if the neck doesn't come with a set already.

After I get the neck on I'll assess whether or not pickups are are part of this project too. I'm tempted to convert it to a H/S/S setup. I really haven't had a chance to see how she sounds yet because I'm to cheap to waste a set of strings on it with the incorrect neck in place!

The clear coat is heavily cracked and chipped so I'm going to refinish the body... I intend to stain it with a strong Cherry stain and paint black racing stripes (because stripes are awesome). I also want to swap out the pickguard for a black/white/black 3-ply and put some new pickup covers on it.

Here's what it looks like today and a rough Photoshop of what it will look like when I'm done:

Re: Pawn Shop Legacy Partscaster Restoration

Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:10 am

Good luck on the search and keep us posted about the progress!