G&L Legacy Tribute PTB restoration and mods (w/sound)

Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Greetings all! I recently scored a Legacy Tribute in a trade for an Xbox! I gotta say, I got the better end of that deal.

Some previous owner had half-ass attempted to change out the PTB circuit to the lame Strat-style circuit. Luckily for me, he used the original potentiometers. I set about restoring the stock Legacy PTB circuit, and since I found diagrams for both the Legacy and the S-500, I tried both, and a mod of the S-500 circuit. I made recordings of each stage, so I could objectively tell the difference.

Some details: The pickups are the traditional G&L AlNiCo Legacy stock pickups. The recordings were done with the neck pickup selected, and all pots on "10." The strings weren't removed between each stage, so there's no variance there.

Here's the Legacy stock PTB circuit:

Here's the Legacy stock PTB sound file (mp3)

Here's the S-500 stock PTB circuit. Note the treble-bleed cap on the volume pot (C2), and the extra .001uF capacitor (C3).

Here's the S-500 stock PTB sound file (mp3)

Here's the S-500 PTB sound file, but this time without the C3 .001uF capacitor (mp3)

So, if you ever wondered how these different circuit mods sound with Legacy AlNiCo V pickups, here's your answer.

Conclusion:

I opted for the good old stock Legacy wiring, because it's brighter, and in combination with the PTB controls, provides the most variety. Notice how the S-500 circuit (designed for MFD pickups) doesn't sound so great with the AlNiCo V pickups! Using just the S-500's treble-bleed cap (C2) sounds pretty good, so that's an option.

Re: G&L Legacy Tribute PTB restoration and mods (w/sound)

Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:21 am

Welcome and you have a beautiful Legacy. Also thanks for posting your experiment results. Interesting. -- Darwin

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Thanks! My final "mod" will be to install a white pickguard. The red tortoiseshell is OK, but not my favorite look.

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:30 pm

I really like this post. So much of what we use as guitarists has just been inherited because it's been copied endlessly over the years. Nice work for actually asking "why?" :thumbup:

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:39 pm

That 1nF (0.001uF) cap at position C3 in the S-500 circuit can be made more functional by placing it at the other end of the (rewired) treble pot so that either C3 or the original tone cap C4 (22nF) will blend into circuit, depending towards which end you rotate the pot. And pot at 75% rotation will take both caps out of circuit. Works best with a 1MegA pot but the installed 500kA will work pretty good as well.
I did this on one of my S-500s to get more top end sparkle and less upper treble peaking.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:46 am

I’m with ya on the pickguard, a cream one would look awesome on it! I am one of those guys who can’t seem to leave as is, but I like your process to get what you want out of the instrument. I just bought a used trib Bluesboy, and put CTS 3-way, CTS volume and a no-load fender tone, used the original tone cap because I didn’t like the sound of the orange drop as well. but i used a oil and film cap and resistor for treble bleed, works very well for the humbucker, was going to order a Seth Lover, and may still, but, for now, I’m liking the Paul G. pickup.

Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:11 pm

And here she is with her new white pickguard. I'm very pleased. :)

I've taken this guitar out to two gigs so far, and it's been great! An amazingly nice guitar.

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:53 am

Looking much better without that tortoise that's for sure. I also like the last sound sample congrats! If I had an Xbox I would trade with you :-)