Crusty S-500 Update and Price Tag Question

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:05 am

My crusty S-500 project is moving along slowly. I thought I could save the locking tuners, but they are junk. The electronics when tap tested seem to be OK. Here's a couple of pictures of the crusty S-500:

The original dealer applied the price tag to the back of the headstock and then added two pieces of scotch tape. I'm thinking that since it's been there for nearly 15 years, that it would be best to leave it. If you were restoring this guitar would you remove it or leave it?

Re: Crusty S-500 Update and Price Tag Question

Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:04 am

Steve, it looks to me like the neck has not darkened. I would be tempted to carefully remove it. I would use something like paint thinner or heat to soften the glue on the tape. It looks like there would not be a big difference in color. Don't use lacquer thinner as it is very harsh. Just take your time. -- Darwin

Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:51 am

kinda looks cool to me , amazing it stayed on there all those years from the looks of the hardware ..... was this guitar never sold till you ??

Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:59 am

Fumble fingers wrote:kinda looks cool to me , amazing it stayed on there all those years from the looks of the hardware ..... was this guitar never sold till you ??

I'm on the fence about the price tag. I like it and I don't like it. I bought the guitar from the son of its original owner. The original owner has passed away. The son said his dad wanted the guitar to go to someone that would fix it and enjoy it.

Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:45 pm

I would try to remove it with some naptha (lighter fluid).

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:40 am

If you want to remove the price tag, you could use some goof off or trumpet valve oil to remove it.

I always look for old valve oil in Music stores because it is deodorized kerosene and its less caustic than Naptha or Gasoline but very effective in removing stickers and glue residue. Trombone slide oil is about the same thing.

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:35 am

if you want to remove I would use a heat gun or hair drier

Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:39 pm

Sprinter 92 wrote:The original dealer applied the price tag to the back of the headstock and then added two pieces of scotch tape. I'm thinking that since it's been there for nearly 15 years, that it would be best to leave it. If you were restoring this guitar would you remove it or leave it?

I'd probably remove it, but then again I've left the hang tag string on my '82 SC-2. The sticker does look better than those microwave tags they're putting on the headstocks now... :lol:

Ken

Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi, Sprinter,

I haven't been here lately, so it sounds like I missed part of your story.

Where was this guitar for 15 years?
It looks like it was dipped in salt or acid.
Or it was near the ocean.

What's the story, morning glory? :alright:

Kate