Bluzeboy

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:16 pm

Here's a project I've wanted to do for some time and the results are everything and more than I hoped for! :banana:

You may recall my acquisition of a three bolt 94 ASAT that was purchased for project anyway. Great guitar in it's own right but there were plans....

Originally wanted to turn this into an ASAT 3 but knew deep down I'm a 2 pup guy and a Bluesboy variety was missing from the collection. (already three pup options in ASAT Z3 and Will Ray models) While a standard Bluesboy is fine I knew a big MFD would be the ticket for the bridge and a Paul Gagon neck humbucker to round it out. So off it went to Andrew, my local guitar hero, G&L dealer (Music Authority), master luthier and all around great guy. All I needed was a new pickguard from Chandler (parchment color) and he would do the rest. Quick turn a round from Adrian Chandler and here she is, with sticker still on the guard.

My Bluzeboy (name can be changed upon better suggestion) :idea:

Tone is fantastic. Andrew and I both ran her through an Orange AD30 and it hits all marks. Of course better from him than me, but ah well. :sign0011:

Here is a sound report - more meat in the bridge than regular small MFD (good ol' ASAT tone), middle position is killer and rolling tone knob or volume knob gets wide range of tone, and lastly the Gagon neck pup can hit all from rock to jazz. I will run her through my Boogies and Fenders this week and weekend to really see what she can do.

Re: Bluzeboy

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:09 am

Great idea Sam. I was curious about the match with the special pickup. Very cool guitar. -- Darwin

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:50 am

Outstanding, what a gorgeous guitar! The parchment pickguard looks so much better and I like how the chrome cover accents the control plate and saddle lock bridge.

I wonder of an f100 neck pickup wound pair with the large MFD bridge?

Edit -

That is one fine MANCHILD :o
Last edited by WitSok on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:54 am

sweet ride !! .... I love the gagon humbuckers I just installed in my ASAT Deluxe , I bet the big MFD does match up good with the Gagonator neck

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:01 am

thanks for the kind feedback guys. :D

This will get some playing time for sure.

WitSok, go on and try the f100 pup and let us know. :thumbup:

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:42 pm

Hey WitSok,

This guard with parchment color can be ordered from Chandler by this description - CUSTOM H MFD G&L ASAT pickguard pattern # 238 - material # 121

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:17 pm

Sam, that's a "special Bluzeboy." :angel:
Love the transparent green finish!

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:33 pm

Sam,

Me likey!
New pickguard color looks great and pickup combination sounds like a great choice.
Another winner.

Jeff

Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:17 pm

I like this monster Sam! Bluezboy is a nice, i like MANCHILD.

Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:36 pm

Thanks guys,

The moniker "MANCHILD" is starting to catch on for me.

Bluesboy grows into MANCHILD 8-)

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:06 pm

Did you have to rout out the guitar in order to fit the humbucker in?

Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:44 am

Hi themikeaustin,

Yes, I had someone route for the bucker. Still diggin' this set BTW :thumbup:

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:19 am

The mix large MFD/bucker is funny looking but it must be a cool match sound wise...

Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:39 pm

I'm quite certain we'd all like to hear some sound clips... :)

Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:44 pm

I had the idea of a BadMFBoy...

Very cool idea for pickup combo, I like... I'm not as much a fan of the smaller bridge pickups in the regular bluesboy, and have never bought an ASAT classic for about the same the reason... but I can't get enough of the tones available from the MFD's... seems like G&L would offer this as one of their models... (hint-hint-hint...)

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:34 am

I have always wanted a B.B. type of guitar ever since Tim Page had the first ones made. They just seem like a perfect Fender scale blues guitar. Yours looks very interesting indeed.

Great work,

y2kc

Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:31 pm

Nice work there. This caught my interest as i have an ASAT Classic Semi Hollow that i would love to turn into a BluesBoy, but just havent been able to bring myself to have it routed. Well done anyway.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:49 pm

That looks great Sam!

Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:07 am

Thanks Tomas83,

This was a lot of fun putting together and sounds pretty cool to my tone deaf ears. ;)