View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 New T style project completed 

Post New T style project completed
The project side of me was at it again over the holidays, and I am fairly satisfied. Having some pup tone tinkering that may still need to be done, questions to you on that later.

After modding enough guitars resulting in a large bin of parts and pieces I decided to either sell 'em all or put 'em something. So the hoarder in me was on the build path again.

Parts included - Seymour Duncan '59 humbucker from neck of ASAT Deluxe, Duncan Broadcaster alnico bridge pup just in the box, wired harness from a '62 reissue Telecaster, GE Smith bridge from my Z coil ASAT double bound tele older project, extra pick guard in the box, a 2015 Mexican tele neck with tuners that were for another project a few years back that didn't see the light of day, and I bought a 2015 US tele body, 4.10 lbs, on the CHEAP. Total weight unsure but maybe 7.5.

Sound wise I think it turned out pretty well. The neck and bridge/neck combo are the best sounding. Surprisingly, the bridge only seems a little weak. Don't know if it has to do with the pots, wiring or the pup is not as bright and strong as I recall them being. Or, it could just be the other two combinations sound so good and the bridge is just typical Broadcaster pup. kind of a Bluesboy or Albert Collins ish guitar. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Here she is!

Ya never know what you can build with extra parts! :lol:

Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Post Re: New T style project completed
You are giving me ideas. Damn you. ;)

edg

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:18 pm
Profile WWW

Hey ed,

Call me an enabler. :evilgrin:

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Nicely done Sam! :happy0065:

- Jos

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:09 pm
Profile WWW

Looks Great!
I've been surprised more than once when a bunch of parts go from dust magnets to daily players.
I've so many parts laying around I can't justify a NGD, but give me a month and I'll
come up with something.

sam wrote:

Ya never know what you can build with extra parts! :lol:

...and a brass bookend if you can cut it down to use as a tailpiece...but that's a story for another thread :eh:

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:58 pm

nice looking Franken-Tele, sam! looks like it'd be fun to play. keith richards and jeff beck likely thought so as worthy explorers of the neck-'bucker teles

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:03 pm

John and Jos thanks, it was fun looking to see what could be done.

ed, we are all waiting to what you put together.....

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:28 pm

Nice! I kinda like the look of the tele bridge pickup without the tele bridge.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:51 pm

Well Sam, looks like you're in the luthier business!

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:31 pm

cho /CS thanks.

cho - this is a GE Smith bridge that I kinda dig. The ones with compensated brass saddles sound good to me.

CS - YOU are a luthier, I am just a guy who had to do something with some spare parts. :evilgrin: While I am pleased with the results, it's guys like you I look up to who can truly build a guitar.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:50 pm

Made a change to my project from about a year ago, and like it much better :thumbup: Also a chance to re-post an old photo#ucket picture.

Here was the project last year with Seymour Duncan '59 humbucker from neck of ASAT Deluxe, Duncan Broadcaster alnico bridge

After playing some, or not playing as it were, the pups were just too dark for my taste. So off we go. This time I decided to swap the '59 neck for a Twisted Tele neck pup and boy does she sing! More a traditional tele sound, but to my tin ear this is the sound I wanted out of this guitar. I recommend this pup mix to anyone wanting a sharper traditional single coil sound that gives some mid range, and blends with Broadcaster well. This is close to a Baja I once had, but better weighted, better neck and sound. Now it will get played more. :happy0065:

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]