Salvage a lifting finish?

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:25 pm

I'm creeping into my first guitar build. It will be a s-type guitar from FMIC and knock off parts (lol, there is that term again...)

Anyway, I got a sonic blue body off the bay for a deal but noticed the paint is lifting a bit on the heel. I'm not looking for a perfect fix but something that will stick the paint back down and help keep anymore from coming up.

I was thinking of trying to wick some superglue into the gap. I've been cautioned about the runniness and the quick setup time being a problem.

Anybody got experience or even an idea at fixing this? I do like the color and the body is otherwise pretty good shape. And no, I'm not going to relic it lol

Re: Salvage a lifting finish?

Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:24 am

I might try some titebond . Staying away from solvents that might react with the primer/paint .

Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks Elwood, that seems to be the consensus that is forming.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:05 pm

Just be sure to get the glue deep and to clamp tight, bubbles are the enemy here :fighting0030:

Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 pm

yeah, I'm noodling just how to get it good and flat while firmly clamped.

I'm thinking something rigid and flat pressed against the heel and a clamp spanning from the heel to whatever that hole in the neck pocket is. Test fitting stuff now.