Tele 4 way switch

Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:01 am

Anybody here ever put a 4 was switch in their Telecaster? I just put a new switch in with some Lollar pups a couple of weeks ago with the standard 3 way configuration. Does running 2 pups in series really make a huge difference? Isn't that how true humbucking pup is wired?

I may order a switch and open her back up if I ever finish all these customer guitars. My stuff always seems to come last these days. :lol:

Larry

Re: Tele 4 way switch

Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:12 pm

In series and out of phase, the S-1 switching option of a Fender American Deluxe Strat adds beef, cuts highs and steers closer towards the Clapton "woman tone." I am mentioning it only as a point of reference to investigate for sound samples are available all over the internet. Is that what you are looking for?

Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:55 pm

No Salmon, according to my knowledge, it's still in phase because bridge the pup is already RWRP, exact opposites. They're just wired in series rather than parallel at one setting. Apparently, I will need to unsolder the lead on the neck pup and add a wire to do this mod.

Speaking of that, I was scrounging through some schematics earlier and found the original ASAT S guitars didn't have the middle pup RWRP originally compared to the neck and bridge pups. Is that true? I read one of the board guys told them the neck and middle pup were the same while the bridge was opposite. Seems silly, but who knows?!

Larry.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:06 pm

I've never done it with mine, but I have experienced it with others. The series position, as you said is like a humbucker, with the two coils farther apart. That position provides a much fuller and louder sound than the the two pickups in parallel. It can be used for a boost when soloing.

Speaking of that, I was scrounging through some schematics earlier and found the original ASAT S guitars didn't have the middle pup RWRP originally compared to the neck and bridge pups. Is that true? I read one of the board guys told them the neck and middle pup were the same while the bridge was opposite. Seems silly, but who knows?!

Someone else here can probably verify this with a link, but I seem to remember this also.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Well, I tell you what. I will order a 4 way switch and be the guinea pig. Shoot, I've changed my old '55 it doesn't matter anymore. It'll be fun.

Larry

Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:47 am

Zippy wrote:No Salmon, according to my knowledge, it's still in phase because bridge the pup is already RWRP, exact opposites. They're just wired in series rather than parallel at one setting. Apparently, I will need to unsolder the lead on the neck pup and add a wire to do this mod.

Are you speaking of the American Deluxe Strat? Whether out of phase or not (out of phase, according to a review on Sweetwater's website) it does fatten up and aim for the "woman tone" of Clapton as I would agree having heard demos.......the important point.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:45 am

Zippy wrote:Speaking of that, I was scrounging through some schematics earlier and found the original ASAT S guitars didn't have the middle pup RWRP originally compared to the neck and bridge pups. Is that true? I read one of the board guys told them the neck and middle pup were the same while the bridge was opposite. Seems silly, but who knows?!

Larry.

Nope, the middle pickup has always been a RWRP pickup on the ASAT Classic 'S' models. There was a change to the neck pickup
to be the same wind and polarity as the bridge pickup to address the hum in the #2 position (neck+middle).
See: Album: ASAT Classic S Wiring Diagram and Picture Diagrams in the Gallery.
This is also mentioned in the G&L Knowledgebase, General G&L Questions sub-forum:
List of Special Edition & Non-Production ASAT-style guitars and List of Regular Production ASAT-style guitars (USA).

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:34 pm

Well, I think I'll order myself a good 4 way switch and give it a go. I'll let y'all know the result.

Salmon, no my guitar is not a deluxe. I have a '55 Telecaster. Before people freak out, it's not all original as I've owned it for 30 plus years and I bought it at a garage sale when I was young. However, it plays like a dream! I don't know what it is about that guitar, but people lose their mind when they play it.

Anyway, it's getting a 4 way switch. I think it'll be happy.

Larry

Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:10 am

Larry,

You seem to have misread both of my posts where I was speaking of the Fender American Deluxe Strat as a reference for the effects of pups in series.

Anyway, I'd like a guitar that I could lose my mind playing.

When you have that 4-way hooked up will you post a sound file?

Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:28 am

Salmon wrote:Larry,

You seem to have misread both of my posts where I was speaking of the Fender American Deluxe Strat as a reference for the effects of pups in series.

Anyway, I'd like a guitar that I could lose my mind playing.

When you have that 4-way hooked up will you post a sound file?

Sure, Ill try to post something. Sorry to misread your post. I see what you were saying now. I try to computer multi task and sometimes it just doesn't work.

Larry

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:21 pm

Hey Zip, I have the 4way on my California Tele (standard Tele but with a strat pup in the neck) and it makes a HUGE difference in tone especially when you run your amp real hot to get the natural OD of a tube amp. It's a thicker, darker sound than the parallel position. I really like it, more along the line of a dark P90 pup. Hope this helps

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:20 pm

Yes, it's a real afterburner! A great thing to do with a T-pair of single-coils; fat and gutsy. Also nice with a Strat layout's middle-and-bridge selection (on a toggle or pullpot), very Keef / Ry Cooder.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Hey Zippy,

I am a firm believer in the 4 way switch, have added to three of my guitars, two ASAT's and one Tele. I am having computer issues today so cannot send links, but if you do a search of GLDP you will find my and others takes on this mod. The bump in tone while in series is enough to make the change. Low cost mod so if you don't like it easy to change back, but I haven't changed any of them back.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:20 pm

Right on guys. I'm not worried about changing it back. This guitar has been changed bunches in it's day.

Larry