The New John Pearse® #510L & #610LM SILKS

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:55 pm

I promised in a recent thread that I would post a review of these strings.
To recap, I have a Guild D-55, a full size and very heavy Dread acoustic. For years I have been using D'Addario Phosphor Bronze in gauges 12,16,24,32,42,53. This is the gauge that the guitar comes with and that Guild recommends. This guitar is known for powerful projection and loud balanced piano-like tones. To get maximum performance it really does need strings at least this heavy--I tried lighter gauge strings when I first got it and they really did not cut it--and in addition, I would have had to do a setup perhaps possibly requiring new nut and/or saddle, since they produced unacceptable buzz. I use '10s on my electric and I don't play the Guild that often, hence the bigger strings are always a shock when I do pull it out of its case.

So, recently I read about these strings:
http://www.jpstrings.com/brstring.htm#Silks

The marketing hype had this to say: "Formulated for the electric guitarist who doubles on acoustic, this set features a never before possible "playing ease" tension married with the warmth and projection for which our acoustic strings are famous."

The lower tension claim caught my eye and got me intrigued.

Well, I finally got around to putting a set of these on yesterday--they are the exact same gauge as I have been using--and here are my thoughts.

While the difference in feel is subtle and not really dramatic, they definitely are a bit easier to play--especially if you do any fingerpicking--I have to say I do like them better than what I have been using and will continue to use them. The difference in sound is also subtle--If I have to describe it, I would say they are not as "hard" sounding, but still full sounding with adequate volume and projection.

As I said, these will be my new regular acoustic strings for now.

Suave Eddie says "Check 'em out".

Re: The New John Pearse® #510L & #610LM SILKS

Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks for your thoughts . Did you buy them on line? They didn't have them at L&M. I'm in the states right now and It was no go at guitar center as well. I just put new strings on my acoustic but I want to try these ones ( at least to have on hand )

Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:26 am

Got them online at http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/
That's actually where I first saw the promo. You're right--I haven't seen these in any local store.

Free shipping to U.S. or Canada for orders over $35........periodic specials for free shipping on ANY order....get on their mailing list to get advance notice.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:00 pm

How much lighter did you go with your acoustic? You know, if you just put on lighter strings, and the action is already set as low as possible, it probably will buzz. There's not as much string tension on the neck so the truss rod adjustment will be off a bit. You wouldn't have to cut a new nut or get a new bridge. I play 13's on my Yairi acoustic just cause it makes the sound board shake like mad and I think that's cool and it sounds good to me. I put really light strings on my sisters acoustic as she hates my guitar feel. I set it up and it plays wonderfully. No buzz, just not as loud.

Larry

Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Zippy wrote:How much lighter did you go with your acoustic? You know, if you just put on lighter strings, and the action is already set as low as possible, it probably will buzz. There's not as much string tension on the neck so the truss rod adjustment will be off a bit. You wouldn't have to cut a new nut or get a new bridge. I play 13's on my Yairi acoustic just cause it makes the sound board shake like mad and I think that's cool and it sounds good to me. I put really light strings on my sisters acoustic as she hates my guitar feel. I set it up and it plays wonderfully. No buzz, just not as loud.

Larry

It's been a while but the lighter strings were probably the "extra light" 10-47 D'Addarios--I was still using '9s on my electric back then. I hadn't thought about it just needing a truss rod tweak, but it didn't matter anyway because the sound/volume suffered too much with the lighter strings....it really sounds great with '12s.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:03 pm

suave eddie wrote:
Zippy wrote:How much lighter did you go with your acoustic? You know, if you just put on lighter strings, and the action is already set as low as possible, it probably will buzz. There's not as much string tension on the neck so the truss rod adjustment will be off a bit. You wouldn't have to cut a new nut or get a new bridge. I play 13's on my Yairi acoustic just cause it makes the sound board shake like mad and I think that's cool and it sounds good to me. I put really light strings on my sisters acoustic as she hates my guitar feel. I set it up and it plays wonderfully. No buzz, just not as loud.

Larry

It's been a while but the lighter strings were probably the "extra light" 10-47 D'Addarios--I was still using '9s on my electric back then. I hadn't thought about it just needing a truss rod tweak, but it didn't matter anyway because the sound/volume suffered too much with the lighter strings....it really sounds great with '12s.

Right on. It's all about the happiness!
Larry