Questions on appropriate topics.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:42 pm

Guys/girls, I've not been on this site in years. I'm working on a little Fender Junior amp and am having some issues. In the "old days" lots of knowledgeable folks were around. Is it cool to ask questions like this?

Re: Questions on appropriate topics.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Totally...hopefully we can drum up a decent IQ average to address that fender jr. :lol:

Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:27 pm

Well, I found a short in the reverb and repaired it as it was not working at all. Mind you, there is no foot switch. When I turn up the reverb knob, I hear a whining sound not unlike a jet engine starting up. It's not crazy loud. It stops when I turn down the reverb of course. It also stops when I unplug his pedal board transformer running the daisy chain. I've tried each stomp box individually with no change.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:41 pm

I hear similar sounds (if I'm imagining it right) through my pickups if I'm too close to my computer screen
My first guess would be the reverb is picking up some RF from the transformer.
Does the noise change if you move the pedalboard around?

Is there an easy way to add an extra shield around the tank and/or reverb leads to see if anything changes?
...or maybe to ground the tank chassis better.

just some shots in the dark, hopefully some amp guys will chime in
elwood

Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Elwood, thanks for helping out. I moved the amp into another room and still the same. I'm gonna check his pedal board again and then pull the reverb is that doesn't work. I'm not close to my computer screen. Sounds like it's "singing". It's just a little spring reverb. Not the long one like on my Deluxe Reverb at all.
Thanks,
Larry

Oh yeah, I checked the 12ax7's as well and found no issues.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Alright, something is amiss in this crazy home made pedal board. I'm gonna check all his cables and the daisy chain. Much thanks.
LD