Help me decide!

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:36 am

I'm between a '63 Fender Princeton or a '84 SC-2 (2nd body style)
Neither of which show up often locally. The amp has been on my short list for a couple of years, the SC-2 has as well but I'm more after the mustang body type than the strat, still hard to pass up. Other determining factor Amp is several hours of driving SC-2 is less than an hour.

Here are a couple of quick clips of early 60's (6G2) Princetons
[youtube]NLOERSXh5J0[/youtube]

[youtube]JbawqZ6L8Ww[/youtube]

Which would you pick?

Thanks!
-Dave

Re: Help me decide!

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:40 am

get the amp .... a early style SC 2 will show up eventually , I would get the amp now and get the mustang style later

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:32 am

Fumble fingers wrote:get the amp .... a early style SC 2 will show up eventually , I would get the amp now and get the mustang style later

I would do the opposite. There are plenty of old Fender amps out there, but not many of these SC-2s. Then again, I remember how my '63 B-15 called out to me. HAve you been looking at Princetons in particular, or for old Fender amps in general?

Ken

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Ken, I've been looking for a 60-63 "Brownface" Fender for a while, missed a local one about 2-3years ago (another Princeton) and just last year missed a ridiculous deal on a brown Super. I was after either a Deluxe or a Princeton from that era primarily though. I've watched the prices go up on them so I'm leaning towards the amp, just waiting on date codes and a gut shot to confirm it's not been messed with. Still going to go check out the SC-2 though. I think Fumble is right, I still see SC-2's here and there, that '63 Princeton is one of about 4 that I could find between GC, CL and ebay

-Dave

Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:32 pm

Dave, you have a tough decision. The old Princetons are hard to find but I would suggest a compromise. I really like the 70's Fender amps as they were really good amps and you could maybe find a 70's version for less money and buy both the amp and the SC- 2. Like Tim, I do like the Fender Reverb in a Fender amp so his suggestion is good. I do like my modern SC 2 with the DF in Fullerton Red. Red guitars always sound better! -- Darwin

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:11 pm

Dave,

Countless flavors of reverb are available in a stompbox these days so it's omission in an amp would not be the deal breaker it might have been years ago.

If you like both after checking them out is it possible to buy both? Maybe one or both sellers will have the compassion to go for a staggered payment, a hold, a price break or something?

Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks for your input guys, really appreciate it!
No reverb isn't a deal breaker for me, but I just got pics and I'm certain the OT is a replacement. Kinda kills the collector value factor, other than that a few caps here and there were replaced but the work looks good and no circuit changes. Amp dates to '61-'62 except for the OT ('05), speaker is not original but it's a '60 Jensen p10. (FYI sounds like he's firm @ $1k)

What are your thoughts on the value of a vintage amp if the transformer is not original ?

Thanks,
Dave

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:19 pm

I think you've answered your own question, Dave - seeing as a lot of the price of the amp is because of its collectibility, and that the collectibility has been heavily reduced due to the different OT and speaker I'd stay away from it. Darwin's idea of the Silverface is a good one, and even the new reissues are fantastic little amps. Same circuit, but the components aren't 50 years old. That's where I'd put my money. And I'd hold out for an original shape SC2, too. I guess I'm saying buy nothing, which is no fun at all...

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks again for your help, sometimes I get the GAS blinders on, told the guy I'm going to pass on the amp. Still going to check out that sc-2 just for the heck of it :)

-Dave

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:40 pm

Does this mean I am guaranteed to be the popular guy at a party if I bring along blargfromouterspace? :evilgrin:

blargfromouterspace wrote:I guess I'm saying buy nothing, which is no fun at all.
Salmon wrote:If you like both after checking them out is it possible to buy both?

Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:59 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:And I'd hold out for an original shape SC2, too. I guess I'm saying buy nothing, which is no fun at all...

Dave_P wrote:Thanks again for your help, sometimes I get the GAS blinders on, told the guy I'm going to pass on the amp. Still going to check out that sc-2 just for the heck of it :)

-Dave

As long as you don't break out the plunge router or a can of spray paint, that second-style SC-2 is going to hold it's value. You should be able to turn it back into cash pretty easily whenever the perfect first-style pops up...

Ken