anybody using Guitar Pro 6

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:50 pm

what do you think of it ??

I'm wanting to learn tabs , hear the song and be able to play along with it .... it looks like you can do a lot of stuff on it that's way over my head but mainly learning tabs is what I'm wanting for now .... I do have Tab Pro but the songs sound lame on the program

any thoughts ??

thanks , Eric

Re: anybody using Guitar Pro 6

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:03 pm

Eric,

I think I have it on a laptop. It was a gift that I never used very often. The only time I remember using it was to write out some exercises for my son. The interface wasn't bad IIRC - more talent went into the design than I would have expected at that price point. Beyond that, the details are fuzzy.

I'm not sure I understand what you're hoping to get out of it - learning to write out tabs for songs, or getting it to turn tabs into audio?

Ken

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:08 pm

I want to be able to pull up a song tab I want to learn and be able to play along with it from the same program if that's possible ... it doesn't cost very much so I'm not worried about the 59.95

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:52 am

tab doesn't need to be learned. just put your finger on the string and fret it says. learning to read music however is a great skill to have. i stay away from tabs, i'll read the music, or just learn it by ear.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:55 am

louis cyfer wrote:i stay away from tabs, i'll read the music, or just learn it by ear.

+1. I have used tabs in method books to help with learning very fast passages, but that's about all. I've played with people who want to use tabs from the internet in band situations, and as far as I can remember none of those tabs were correct. Most of them seemed like the best approximation somebody was able to figure out. YMMV!

Ken

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:05 am

Agree.

By not using Tab, it forces you to learn the notes on your fretboard. Which is a really good thing!

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:49 pm

As for using Guitar Pro, it is nice for what it is. There are all sorts of useful amenities built into it.

But it is dependent upon the quality of the tab you feed into it if you use it to learn any part of a song. In this aspect it is probably better for songs being taught by the composer provided they created the tab. I do not know whether any exist but all of the tabs for famous songs I have seen have been created by people other than the original composer. They have all been an approximation. Musical notation can be an approximation as well.

I appreciate the concept of limiting yourself so you are forced to do something a certain way. But, there is no sense in ignoring a tool. I don't think you are corrupted by using GP. There are benefits and advantages to reading music. Each has a different objective and some of the benefits support or eclipse the other.

I like to use GP when learning new licks and patterns. In this context you are learning the lick or pattern the way the tab creator has outlined it. The proof is in the way it plays out in GP. IOW, whether it sounds exactly like a lick from a specific song or is just a lick similar to what has been used somewhere, you know what you are spending time and energy on either way because the tab can be listened to note for note.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:04 pm

thanks for the input ..... I was really wanting a better sound track to go along with the tabs , I have tab pro and it helps me gage my speed to have the Tab Pro sound play along with the tab but the sound tracks are lame ..... I realize tabs are limited as when you pull one up there are sometimes 7 different versions , but being new to lead it helps me get the basic pattern down quicker .... I am going to relearn reading music again